Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told by a mechanic that the sensor light on my dash indicating low coolant might be a defective sensor that is part of the resevoir. I have on several occasions checked the coolant level and he did as well and it was never really lower than a cup or two yet the sensor light has never gone off. now the when the mechanic checked it he also told me that in order to change it the entire resevoir has to be changed because the sensor is part of the unit. Is this true? and how do I go about changing this out?

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
yes, faulty sensor. mine is faulty as well right now. it goes off when it feels like it. in order to fix it, the whole reservoir needs to be changed out. just disconnect the hoses and unbolt it off and install the new one, its very easy. you can get one cheap off ebay.

·
Registered
6,856 Posts
Or just disconnect the sensor's electrical connector. This will disable the light. Just make regular visual checks since the warning light will no longer work.

OBTW, it's a VERY common problem. Sometimes it can be fix by cleaning the tank. However, it's very difficult to clean. Also, if the coolant percent is too low, the magnet will not float like it should. So check the anti-freeze percent before doing anything.

·
Banned
3,705 Posts
Or just disconnect the sensor's electrical connector. This will disable the light. Just make regular visual checks since the warning light will no longer work.

OBTW, it's a VERY common problem. Sometimes it can be fix by cleaning the tank. However, it's very difficult to clean. Also, if the coolant percent is too low, the magnet will not float like it should. So check the anti-freeze percent before doing anything.
+1
I have a Moroso aluminum coolant tank. There is no sensor in it. An idiot light shouldn't substitute for physically checking your fluid levels anyway.

As mentioned, the sensor is picky. Sometimes it just gets stuck where it should float freely. Just bonk it with a screwdriver, or try cleaning the tank.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts