Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't get my motor to crank over after I took it through a puddle, I have tried pulling the plugs and starting, pulling the plugs and dumping the clutch in gear, and pulling the plugs and wrenching on the crank shaft it's self. I was told to take the starter off and try it, but I can't find the F'ing thing because I have little to no idea where it is located on a mustang. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Lower right hand side behind the motor mount. In front of the transmission. Follow the heavy battery cable down.

The top bolt is a real bear to remove especially if this is your first time. Recommend getting a 13mm flex socket and a very long extension. Use a flex socket (not a U-extension. not enough room).

Have a buddy feed the socket through the K-member while guiding the socket onto the top bolt by feel.

The first time I removed a GT starter took me all day. Now I get them off in just a few minutes. It helps to visualize the location of the top bolt.

Good luck.

OBTW, what happened when you dumped the clutch in gear? Did the motor turn over?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the help. it narrows it down but theres still a few words in there that a rookie like me will have to look up online. i dumped it 3 times and every time the rear end locked up and the crank didn't move (i know this because i marked it on top and bottom pulleys with a sharpie)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts