Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My low oil light sometimes comes on then when I close the car and restart it later its not there anymore. Ive check the oil and everything seems fine. Does anyone know what the problem could be? Did this happen to anyone of you before?

Thanks for the help!

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
yes it happens to my 96 as well...it shows up after I fill the gas tank sometimes, but it never stays on very long...my motor with over 150K miles uses very little oil.

·
Registered
287 Posts
is it a low oil light (meaning it says you are low on oil) or is it a low oil pressure light (meaning it has low oil pressure). If it is a low oil light (meaning that it's suppossed to come on when the oil level is low, then the switch may have went bad, providing that it has oil in it). If it is a low oil pressure light it could be many things...usually the pump or bearings. Of course you didn't state whether it is a v6 or a v8. It could also be a clogged oil filter too.

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
Are there different lights for low level and pressure? I just see one that says "low oil"

·
Registered
287 Posts
Are there different lights for low level and pressure? I just see one that says "low oil"
They have one or the other, but not both. I know my 1988 has a low oil light (for when the level is low) I know this cause my rear main seal went bad and the light came on and it was right at the add mark. I'm not sure but I think my 1990 has a low pressure light, I'm not 100% though cause I haven't had issues with pressure or loosing oil on this one yet. I don't know if there is a way to tell which you have or not on the car you have other than asking someone with a little more knowledge on the subject (I know my light will come on when I start the car and go immediately out, and it will say "LOW OIL" (but it doesn't state whether it is pressure or level, I know it is oil level on my 1988)

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
i'm pretty sure it's just oil level, as far as I've ever heard or seen, a pressure guage would have to be externally mounted/aftermarket

·
Registered
321 Posts
I heard that the sn-95s have alot of dash problems. My cobras tripometer and odometer quit spinning and so did my cousins 95GT. His speedometer spikes and drops as well. In my car though, either the check engine light or battery light is always on, and if they both turn off for awhile then the low oil light comes on. I had a shop hook a computer up to it and the only code it showed was that the gas cap wasn't on tight enough

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.