Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can somebody please get a picture of a stock 1996 mustang gt dipstick. messaure it and post it or pm it to me. i bought my car used. and i dont think its reading the oil. i just changed the oil. and put 6 quarts in it. and found out it called for 5 so i took a quart out. and the oil light has stayed on the whole time. and it is now blowing greyish smoke out the pipes when i take off or back up. im bout to change all plug's (splitfire platnium classic) and plugwires(duralast).
i just mainly need a picture. any comments would be nice also. thanks.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Better off using copper plugs, they work much better in the 4.6. with 6 quarts you'll be fine, no need to take any out, just don't go any higher. I don't have a pic handy, but if nobody posts one before then I'll try and take one and post tomorrow, if the rain stops for a minute. south florida in july might as well be under the ocean, it'd be dryer. you can also call a salvage yard to get one to be sure, or ford can give you the length. as for the smoke, not a good sign, check the compression, blue smoke means oil is getting in the combustion chamber, could be a few things... valve seal, bad rings, etc.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, well i think i may have the rite one. but i want to be sure. i have oil in it, its just not showing up on the stick. and my low oil light is on.

·
0 Posts
The dipstick in my '02 measures 28 1/4" from bottom of stick to bottom of handle (entire metal portion), as pictured.
Hope that helps you.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no. i dont have the same stick. but i do have the rite one. its not reading oil and its blowing smoke a little. but i just did a oil change and put 5 quarts in it. the low oil light is also on. what could be my problem?
anything i can check here at home by myself with a lift and help from a shop.
thanks.

·
0 Posts
no. i dont have the same stick. but i do have the rite one. its not reading oil and its blowing smoke a little. but i just did a oil change and put 5 quarts in it. the low oil light is also on. what could be my problem?
anything i can check here at home by myself with a lift and help from a shop.
thanks.
This may be a long shot, but is the oil pan stock? Let's say for example that the PO had a 7qt. pan installed or maybe a 6qt. If that were the case you would have to put 7 qts/6qts in before it read on the dipstick.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
but why would he put a bigger oil pan on a stock motor. that seems like it would just cost him more money than it would do any good. i think its stock i mean its black. but other than that idk. i looked down in my cylinder heads where you put oil through the valve cover, and there looks like a little oil in there. idk if thats normal.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
That's normal. If you put in 5 quarts and it doesn't read any oil in there, there are very few possibilities, either something is preventing it from draining to the bottom (unlikely), the oil pan has been changed (also unlikely on a stock motor), or you have the wrong dipstick. You say its the right one, but the existence of this thread suggests you really don't know, so my bet is its the wrong dipstick. Call ford, or go to a salvage yard. If the low oil light is on, you can try putting in one more quart for a total of 6, 6 quarts in a 4.6 is not going to hurt anything, and a lot of people do this always, its not going to be high enough for it top cause problems like windage and foaming.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i have had 6 in it. still had low oil light. i have verified the stick, its correct. also even if it was the wrong stick its still smoking out the pipes and has a low oil light.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.