Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

First time here. Wondering if you guys can help. My A/C hasn't worked since I bought the car (used), and I noticed the clutch was not engaging, so after some research I found out that if the pressure is too low, then the clutch won't engage at all. So I tried adding some freon, and the clutch DID engage, only to shut-off after about 2 seconds. Then after another 4-5 seconds, it engages again only to shut off as stated before. Anybody have any ideas as to what is causing this? Any advice would be much appreciated, cause I'm stumped.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
There is a low pressure switch that shuts off the AC when the pressure is too low. When the Freon level is very low, the AC will not start. As Freon is added, the pressure gets high enough to allow the AC clutch to engage. When the system starts, there isn't enough Freon to keep the pressure up. The low pressure switch disengages the clutch and the pressure comes back up.

Wash, rinse, repeat.........

When adding Freon it's helpful to JUMP the low pressure switch. This will force the AC to run even though the pressure is low. Refilling the system will go much faster.

When the correct (or enough Freon) has been added, remove the jumper on the AC low pressure switch.

The low pressure switch is located on the receiver/dry right hand (car's point of view) rear of the engine compartment.

·
Registered
409 Posts
There is a low pressure switch that shuts off the AC when the pressure is too low. When the Freon level is very low, the AC will not start. As Freon is added, the pressure gets high enough to allow the AC clutch to engage. When the system starts, there isn't enough Freon to keep the pressure up. The low pressure switch disengages the clutch and the pressure comes back up.

Wash, rinse, repeat.........

When adding Freon it's helpful to JUMP the low pressure switch. This will force the AC to run even though the pressure is low. Refilling the system will go much faster.

When the correct (or enough Freon) has been added, remove the jumper on the AC low pressure switch.

The low pressure switch is located on the receiver/dry right hand (car's point of view) rear of the engine compartment.
Kevin said switch is up by the firewall, passenger side engine compartment. Unplug the connector (2 wire) and use a paper clip to jump out the switch as described above. Mike, nice tip about jumping whilst filling!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts