Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Is there anybody skilled enough here to give an adequate beginner tutorial (With pictures preferably but not necessary) on how to replace the engine mounts on a 1996 ford mustang base model? I'm trying to avoid paying two hundred bucks for labor and I have a lot of time in my hands.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Buy a Haynes or Chiltons manual while you are at the parts store getting your mounts. They have pictures. If you are really too cheap to buy one; and the manual is not plastic wrapped, take pics of the section you need with a high res smartphone. I would suggest buying it for future reference if you are keeping this car.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Dude.. if you have no experience on mechanics its best to let a shop or a buddy who knows about engine pullings himself... Cus basically the car HAS to be up from the front high enough for you to get comfortable and under the engine... and the engine has to come up a bit wich you would need a engine puller witch is about 600 bucks depending on the 1 u get.. some jack stands and a jack. may god be with you my son.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i swapped out my motor mounts in a matter of a half an hour with no motor mount experience, it takes a second to find them on the car but once you do you will see it aint that bad to do. i had the front of the car on jackstands, blocked the rear tires for added safety and went to town, i cant remember as it was like 6 months ago i did the job but i think its a couple bolts on each mount then once you get them off throw a jack underneath to lift the motor off the mounts pull them out and throw the new ones in, just make sure not to dent your oil pan that would be bad. its easy, if you cant do it i wouldn't suggest working on your own car. i'm not even 100% confident to do everything on my car but that was a piece of cake to me.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did it like a week ago. It wasn't a piece of cake for me though. I had to jack the motor up really high to get the mounts off because otherwise the screw attached to the mounts where the nut goes would let the mount come off. It took a good hour and a half at least. Thanks though, your post inspired me to attempt it with a friend.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Snobs in the forum

Well done dude. It's isn't that hard, but there seem to always be some snobs who think if you don't have a degree in automotive engineering, a mechanics certificate and 10 years of shop experience you shouldn't even try. It's not like your rebuilding the engine or transmission. It's a bloody piece of rubber. And a good warning about the oil pan.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts