Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Umm i'm new here but i have a 1996 mustang v6. From the day i got it i saw the check engine light on but didnt pay it any mind until it starts flashing. When it flashes the car bubbles you can hear the difference in performance through the exhaust. I took it to a mechanic shop and popped the hood only to discover that the EGR valve was disconnected and had a screw at the end of it so they took it out and connected it when i went to start the car it struggled to come on and struggled to idle so they disconnected the EGR valve again and started it and it easily came on but still the check engine light was flashing so they put the computer on it , about 6 codes came up .The first code was low EGR and the other all had something to do with that to (thats what the guys at the shop told me). The car has an after market fuel management system but i don't think that's causing any problems. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
39 Posts
i have a 97 v6 and i have this problem come up when it rains b.c i have a crack in my muffler so moisture gets in and messes with the engine, also are you running stock spark plug wires, b.c ik i ran livewires, i later found out that the 96, 97's have issues with aftermarket wires, so they constantly gave me a check engine so i had to switch to stock ones.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do have after market live wires....should i go back to the stock ones?....and what should i do about the EGR valve?

·
Banned
9,214 Posts
any vacume leaks? a vacume leak will cause the FMJ ( diafram ) not to work all the way

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are no leaks in any of the hoses.....i don't know what the problem is...but it's annoying to be driving down the road then all of a sudden the check engine light starts flashing and it's like the whole attitude of the car changes and it's lazier....

·
Registered
39 Posts
trust me go buy ur self some stock wires from motorcraft, livewires wreaked havoc on my car, at like 55mph she would start to jerk and only when i gave her gas would she even out, i bought some stock wires and all the problems just went away but like shine said some codes would be helpful.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.