Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1996 mustang and i have a really bad problem with it. It has horrible gas mileage. I have done all the things ive been told to fix it but absolutely nothing has worked. First i did a standard oil change and that didnt help. I then changed the dirty air filter and that didnt help. I then went to my grandpa who is a mechanic and he said i needed to get a new egr valve. I was cheap so i paid to get it cleaned and that didnt work... Finally a few days ago i bought a brand new egr valve and got it installed and nothing has happened. I filled the tank up and put a bottle of RXP in and it didnt help either. I really dont know what to do to get this gas mileage fixed. Im getting around 5-6 miles to the gallon and this car is making me go broke from gas money. Any ideas on what i should do to fix it?

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
that is typically the 02 sensors not working and the car running "open loop"...have a qualified shop put your car on a computer and see if I am right...if so, replace them and that should cure your woes, a handheld tuner can also diagnose them...

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
You will have to check the LT/ST fuel trim on the road to see whats going on. If its way positive you found the problem but not the cause. Make sure the tranny is working properly and shifting in to OD and Lock up. Have a mechanic check the exhaust back pressure. It should not exceed 2 LBS at 2500 RPM. The O2 sensors can be monitored also for cross counts. If your cross counts are low the O2 sensors may be sluggish. If the car has high mileage throw a pair of O2 sensors in just for good measures As 2 manystangs pointed out with his post above Peace tom.:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup

1 - 3 of 3 Posts