Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I have a 1996 mustang with a v8 swapped engine in it(from a 2000 gt). I need a new engine and I found on craigslist a 2006 Crown Vic Police Interceptor 4.6L engine with around 62,000 miles. I was wondering if it drops in. Thanks

·
Registered
8,704 Posts
And also swap over your front accessories and exhaust manifolds and flywheel if manual transmission.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys

·
Registered
943 Posts
And also swap over your front accessories and exhaust manifolds and flywheel if manual transmission.
OP sounds like you have all the information you need, should be an easy swap.

On a side note though SoCal:
What is with all the blown motors lately?! Seems like there has been more posts recently with people replacing engines.

·
Registered
8,704 Posts
On a side note though SoCal:
What is with all the blown motors lately?! Seems like there has been more posts recently with people replacing engines.
Tax season, lol. Everybody's getting those refund checks in and taking care of old business, haha. At least that's what I equate it to.

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
Tax season, lol. Everybody's getting those refund checks in and taking care of old business, haha. At least that's what I equate it to.
Which is why all the retailers are advertising wheel/tire kits...they cost about the same amount as the average tax return. Genius marketing in my opinion...

I'm seeing all kinds of emails and promos on wheels...maybe it's just me...

·
Registered
943 Posts
SoCal, true that makes since.

Jon, wish that's what I could spend my tax money on. Instead it's going into savings for a rainy day.

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
SoCal, true that makes since.

Jon, wish that's what I could spend my tax money on. Instead it's going into savings for a rainy day.
You and me both, brother. I owed $2 federal this year ha...but got a decent amount back from the State...yeah, no car mods for me either :)

·
Registered
8,704 Posts
Jury's still out for me, still waiting to see what I get back or owe. Figure I'll get a decent refund from the fed and owe the state a little as per usual. But, since I had one of the best years at work in the 8 years I've been with my employer (only by like a couple grand, but still) and my wife had an absolutely killer year (she's an RN, so in addition to putting my paycheck to shame every week she also worked a 2nd job for a few months last year) we are definitely in a higher bracket than previous years. Waiting for the tax lady to finish doing her magic....

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
just want another opinion on it but do you guys think this is a good deal? im not sure how much a reman. engine would be. but here is the link to the craigslist ad with the pics and most of the details.

2006 Ford 4.6 L Police Intercepter Engine

·
Registered
8,704 Posts
just want another opinion on it but do you guys think this is a good deal? im not sure how much a reman. engine would be. but here is the link to the craigslist ad with the pics and most of the details.

2006 Ford 4.6 L Police Intercepter Engine
No, I wouldn't use that. Engines from police and taxi service vehicles are a particular no-no due to severe duty use - idling for hours on end and generally very high mileage (often 300K plus).

Considering a "clean" engine typically goes for about as much as that guy's asking (and that's toward the high end, I've seen decent engines as low as $800), a more honest price for that slug would be like maayyybe $400.

**EDIT: Sorry, I did not notice you mentioned "Police Interceptor" in your first post or I woulda poo-poo'd it earlier. I see it's advertised as having 62K, which I suppose is possible considering that maybe it came from a wrecked cruiser. If you are really interested in the engine and/or feel you have exhausted all other options then I would do two things....

1) Attempt to verify the mileage of the engine. This can be done if the current owner of the engine has and is willing to supply you with the VIN information of the donor car. Then, just spend $20 on a Carfax report; any time a vehicle is wrecked, retired, registered, changes ownership etc it is reported to DMV which is where Carfax gets the bulk of their info from.

2) If all checks out, try to talk him down. I'm thinkin' $800 is fair and shouldn't be busting his balls. If he paid more than that then that's his bad - we all take losses in this life. Use the reasoning I mentioned earlier about it being sourced from a police service vehicle and the "ridden hard and put away wet" severe duty blah blah blah.

If you are unable to accomplish one or both of those things, then I hope you're good at gambling. It could honestly go either way - best engine you ever had or a complete turd from the get-go.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I use Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market go there and search for a crown vic car with the PI heads and intake. Chances are good even a used engine shipped from another state is going to be cheaper than what you are paying. Here in Ohio I can get a 4.6 crown vic engine for 200 bucks all day long with average miles of 90k or less.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I use Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market go there and search for a crown vic car with the PI heads and intake. Chances are good even a used engine shipped from another state is going to be cheaper than what you are paying. Here in Ohio I can get a 4.6 crown vic engine for 200 bucks all day long with average miles of 90k or less.
awesome site, ill try that first, and no SoCal. his price stands firm :/

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No, I wouldn't use that. Engines from police and taxi service vehicles are a particular no-no due to severe duty use - idling for hours on end and generally very high mileage (often 300K plus).

Considering a "clean" engine typically goes for about as much as that guy's asking (and that's toward the high end, I've seen decent engines as low as $800), a more honest price for that slug would be like maayyybe $400.

**EDIT: Sorry, I did not notice you mentioned "Police Interceptor" in your first post or I woulda poo-poo'd it earlier. I see it's advertised as having 62K, which I suppose is possible considering that maybe it came from a wrecked cruiser. If you are really interested in the engine and/or feel you have exhausted all other options then I would do two things....

1) Attempt to verify the mileage of the engine. This can be done if the current owner of the engine has and is willing to supply you with the VIN information of the donor car. Then, just spend $20 on a Carfax report; any time a vehicle is wrecked, retired, registered, changes ownership etc it is reported to DMV which is where Carfax gets the bulk of their info from.

2) If all checks out, try to talk him down. I'm thinkin' $800 is fair and shouldn't be busting his balls. If he paid more than that then that's his bad - we all take losses in this life. Use the reasoning I mentioned earlier about it being sourced from a police service vehicle and the "ridden hard and put away wet" severe duty blah blah blah.

If you are unable to accomplish one or both of those things, then I hope you're good at gambling. It could honestly go either way - best engine you ever had or a complete turd from the get-go.
you seem to be very knowledgeable so I feel I can ask you this. since im in need of a new engine down the road anyway, should I swap up to something better? im not looking for a mass of headaches with trying to squeeze a diesel into the engine bay by any means but I mean something simple that's just a little better, say up to a cobra or ive heard of peope doing the mkVIII swaps, idk if they are any good or what exactly I would need to complete a swap. but im more than capable of getting it done, just need and want the info if you have it.

·
Registered
8,704 Posts
^ How much can you realistically see yourself spending and what do you want in terms of hp?

4V engine swap are sweet, but in terms of just wanting "xxx hp" at the tires are rarely necessary. Mark8 engines, when you can find them anyway are usually a little up there in miles (consider that the last Mark8 rolled off the assy. line in 1998) and 99/01 Cobra's is pretty much the same deal, meaning that it's assumable for general purposes that such an engine would be in need of a rebuild. 03/04 Cobra engines are even sweeter, but the last time I saw one on Ebay (take a look for yourself, they're out there) they still seem to go for around $8K. Which isn't horrible considering the potential, but me personally I could never spend that kind of money on a 11+ year old used engine.

Coyote swap is interesting as well, but probably not gonna make it happen for less than $10K.

Let us know what your goals, hopes and dreams are and I and whoever else will be happy to give advice.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
hopes and dreams? I want to make as much horse power as mechanically possible. but that's just a dream lol. im not looking to push more than 500hp right now so 300-400hp would be awesome. right now my budget is about 2000 and ever growing. just want to know since my engine is on the way out what should I drop in just to have a little more fun with now, and could possibly build up greater later on

EDIT* im not worried about money that's just what I have to spend in cash under my bed right now lol, my willingness to pay is much greater. so lets say my budget is really about 6000 total. and again, what could I put in now that wouldn't be very expensive and then build up greatly later on when my budget is much higher.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts