Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1996 mustang and i have a really bad problem with it. It has horrible gas mileage. I have done all the things ive been told to fix it but absolutely nothing has worked. First i did a standard oil change and that didnt help. I then changed the dirty air filter and that didnt help. I then went to my grandpa who is a mechanic and he said i needed to get a new egr valve. I was cheap so i paid to get it cleaned and that didnt work... Finally a few days ago i bought a brand new egr valve and got it installed and nothing has happened. I filled the tank up and put a bottle of RXP in and it didnt help either. I really dont know what to do to get this gas mileage fixed. Im getting around 5-6 miles to the gallon and this car is making me go broke from gas money. Any ideas on what i should do to fix it?

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
have the O2 sensors checked, it sounds like the car is running "open loop" and dumping fuel

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Have some one scan the car and monitor the FUEL trim. LT&ST. This will tell you exactly what is going on. how do you check the milage?? Just asking!! Is the car an auto or 5 speeder. And what type of driving do you do. You can also check for excessive back preasure in the exhaust. Once you check the LT&ST fuel trim post it and i can tell you what is going on. Also its hot in Texas you probably use the AC a lot and thats a KILLER on mileage. Pace Tom

1 - 3 of 3 Posts