Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I registered on these forums to see if anyone here can help me with a problem. I've been looking around the Internet for a number of years trying to find a solution but haven't been able to.

When the engine of my 1997 3.8l Mustang is warm and in low idle (~700 RPMs) the oil pressure gauge become erratic. Depending on how warm the engine is, the needle bounces between 0 and normal pressure. If I've been driving for a while, when I stop at a light or stop sign, the pressure drops to 0 and the engine starts to dog out like it's about to stall.

As a result, my check engine light is lit and my OBD2 scanner is showing a camshaft position sensor circuit malfunction. If I put enough miles on the car without letting it warm up, the light goes out.

I have replaced the oil pump, pressure sensor, and sending unit. I have also replaced the synchronizer that drives the oil pump and the camshaft position sensor that sits on top of it. It has new oil and a fresh oil filter.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you prime your motor after installing the oil pump?
Yes. The motor was already lubricated and the oil pump was packed with petroleum jelly as per the instructions in my Haynes manual.
Crap, forgot about the code. Did you properly setup the new snychronizer when you installed it?
Following the Haynes motor manual instructions, I installed the synchronizer with the alignment tool (plastic cap that sits where the sensor goes) and the number 1 piston at TDC.

Just thought I should mention that all these problems persisted with both stock and replacement parts. I started with replacing the camshaft position sensor since my OBD2 reader said that was the problem. I then moved onto replacing the entire synchronizer with a fresh camshaft position sensor. I finally replaced the oil pump, pressure sensor, and sending unit. There have been no noticeable improvements.

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
We always prime the motor when installing a new oil pump. I do not believe in packing the thing with petroleum jelly and hoping it works. Also, I would pick up a mechanical oil pressure gauge and use that for better diagnosis. The Ford ones will not help. They are an on/off type of switch that will go to 0 if it is less than 6psi, which is way too late.......

When you installed the synchronizer, was there excessive play in the gearing? The synchronizer is run off a gear on the front of the cam. Remove the cam sensor and check for play.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.