Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good afternoon everybody. I am working on a 1997 Ford Mustang convertible 3.8L and has just over 121,000 miles on it. We purchased the car for a very low price with not many things wrong with it. I have fixed all the things on the vehicle that needed to be done except for the last issue that has me stumped. The vehicle has power door locks, but the locks will not work with either door lock switch. what I did notice would happen when either door lock was pressed the exterior parking lights and interior dash lights would illuminate and also the aftermarket alarm siren would go off. This is what has me stumped! This vehicle came with a factory keyless entry system but when we purchased the vehicle the previous owner didn't have the keyfob for it. I then noticed that there was an aftermarket alarm system installed under the dash on the drivers side of the vehicle but was useless to us because we weren't given that keyfob either. So I removed the aftermarket alarm system and was hoping that the factory one would work again if a new keyfob was purchased. The new keyfob for the factory system did not resolve the problem so we replaced the keyless entry module with another one and now the exterior or interior lights do not illuminate. I am not an alarm installer but I have knowledge with electrical systems so I am looking for someone who can tell me what to do and guide me through it. Any suggestions or help given is greatly appreciated.

William

·
Registered
31 Posts
wrkuchmech - Let me save you some trouble...

The factory keyless entry on these cars was made by TRW. Keyless entry was all it was really was, but the issue it that it certainly ties into the passive anti-theft system. Usually you can find these key fobs in abundance or ebay, etc. The remotes will not work with the "Premium" theft system installed at Ford dealerships, not the factory as mistakenly thought of. The technically aftermarket, dealer authorized and installed systems were manufactured by CODE Alarm Systems. The proper fobs for these can still be found as originals and aftermarket compatible. You need to know the EXACT model number of the alarm. You're probably wondering where the Model/Serial number is for this, right? Don't worry, your eyes are not playing tricks on you. You won't find it, at least labeled on the outside of it. However, do not despair...that is unless you threw the alarm module away once you took it out. The alarm module (black box that was under dash with Ford logo) must be OPENED (yes, cracked open) in order to find the model number which is located on the breadboard of the unit. e.g. ELITE2000. Once you identify the sucker, you can go to some online place like Key Fobs, Replacement Car Alarm Remotes & Keyless Entry Systems : RemotesUnlimited.com or something of the like to obtain the correct fob. The programming procedure seems pretty easy. I have not done it yet, but you are supposed to push in and hold the valet button on the kick panel for 8-10 seconds. The alarms siren chirps 3 times. When it does this, press and briefly hold the LOCK button on the CODE alarm. The locks either cycle or there is ANOTHER chirp from the siren. The fob should be programmed. SIDE NOTE*** While you have the module cracked open, and if you are confident enough, you can modify the jumpers/switches for the system. Comes in handy when you want to shut off automatic arming/locking (once you grow tired of locking yourself out of a running car) and also adjust any settings such a siren duration, etc. Hopefully I have saved you some hair to pull out, for another day, on another project. I have pulled all of mine out and hopefully you benefit from what I posted. Good luck, Ill be checking back on here if you have any issues or questions.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts