Ford Mustang Forum banner

1997 Ford Mustang GT "Whining" Noise

307 Views 5 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  Moosetang69420
Hi all,

Recently my 97 manual GT has been making this "whistling" noise when I accelerate / rev the engine at 2k RPM or higher; as if I have a supercharger installed... I bought the car used recently and it has approximately 34.5k miles. In terms of modifications, the car is mostly stock, but with an aftermarket exhaust setup and a Ford aluminum driveshaft (not sure if this changes anything).

Since getting the car, I changed out the transmission fluid, differential fluid, water pump, belt tensioner, serpentine belt, and idler pulley.

Would anyone be able to chime in on what might be causing this sound? I'm hoping it's not the transmission, but I'm not too sure..

Link to video:

Many thanks in advance!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Idk why you posted the video on that website but you made downloading necessary. I'm not downloading a video. Just post the video where it can be viewed by anyone without downloading like on Youtube.
Does it sound like this?

If so, mine (2005 v6) does it in cold temps, but not in warmer temps.

This is also a topic that has been discussed a bunch of times on here with no real solution that i've found
Reactions: Moosetang69420
Turns out my neighbor's dad is a mechanic and after checking it out, he's pretty certain it's the fuel pump, especially since the noise is coming from the rear of the car.
You didn't mention where the noise was emanating from and you also never posted a normal video on Youtube for others to easily view/hear. I'm glad that you have help now but when asking questions in the future you need to be clear, give thorough details, and make sure you post videos without needing to download them.
I had a 1993 LX that had a whining fuel pump from the day that I bought it. I drove it for 40k miles before the car was scrapped. Since your car only has 34k miles on it I would assume that it's the original pump so idk why it would be making noise but if you replace it then only buy the best pump available which is Delphi. Any of the generic or cheaper brands will not last.
Reactions: Moosetang69420
Hey Cobrajet, while I was taking another video to upload it to YouTube, I ran into my neighbor's dad. I definitely lucked out there haha.

To be honest, I initially thought the whine was from the front (rookie mistake) since I only noticed it while accelerating, so my theory was that it came from the front end of the car based on my position.

The seller told me that the fuel pump was replaced prior to his ownership because the car sat for about 20 years. Perhaps a cheaper one was used.

Appreciate your insight!
You didn't mention where the noise was emanating from and you also never posted a normal video on Youtube for others to easily view/hear. I'm glad that you have help now but when asking questions in the future you need to be clear, give thorough details, and make sure you post videos without needing to download them.
I had a 1993 LX that had a whining fuel pump from the day that I bought it. I drove it for 40k miles before the car was scrapped. Since your car only has 34k miles on it I would assume that it's the original pump so idk why it would be making noise but if you replace it then only buy the best pump available which is Delphi. Any of the generic or cheaper brands will not last.
Reactions: Cobrajet67
1 - 6 of 6 Posts