Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my best run so far has been 16.1 1/4 mile stock with 27.5" diameter tires so I'm a bit slower with the bigger than stock tires. Since then I swapped out my 3.27 gears to 4.10 (so worth it), bbk CAI, catalytic to converter removed, and straight pipes. I haven't taken it to the dyno yet but I read than I have 215 hp @ 4200 RPM & 285 lb-ft @ 3400 RPM. I see that on other dyno sheets the rpm range for peak torque is between 3400-3800. According to this what rpm should I take off on at launch? If I experience tire spin should I lower the rpm I take off on? Also at what rpm should I shift at? Before redline like at 5200-5500 rpm or redline, I heard it might not be the best idea for 1/4 time to shift at redline with 4.6 sohc. I'll try both but I would like our guy's opinions. Furthermore, my uncle told me that back in the day he owned a 1969 camaro z28 and between races he placed a bag of ice on the intake manifold, should I do the same lol? I'm very new to this so any tips would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
Auto or manual? Street tires I assume, or are you running drag radials or slicks? I'll assume some stuff just to answer your question.

The best I found with my 01 GT on launching is to feather the clutch and hammer it when I know I have traction. Dumping the clutch on street tires is a bad idea....

You will want to shift a little later from 1-2, and then a little earlier 2-3 and 3-4. My powerband is a bit higher than yours but the best run I've had (in my sig) I shifter about 5700 from 1-2, then about 5500 2-3, ended at the top of 3rd (5900-6000)with the stock 3.27s.

You def have a faster car than a 16.1, you should be in the mid to high 14s...work on your 60ft times and that will bring down our 1/4 mile time.

Launching on 4.10s will be a lot tougher due to the increae torque multiplication, but same principal applies.

Also, if you can afford it, you need to do a PI Intake/Heads/Cams swap, or, at a minimum, a PI Intake...the PI Intake will allow your engine to breathe above 4500RPM and will give a solid 15rwhp gain up top.

Again, give us more details on tires and tranny and I'll try to help a bit more....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Auto or manual? Street tires I assume, or are you running drag radials or slicks?
I'm running 5 speed, manual stock T45 Transmission with drag radials.

Yea definitely going to practice launching, thanks for the shift points.

Tuner, PI Intake, Cams, Cylinder heads are next on list.

Actually found a PI Intake on craiglist for 100 used from a 04 mustang, good deal or should i look elsewhere?

Current specs with best time are 60 ft-2.5145 330 ft- 6.7802 1/8 ET-10.4119 1/8 MPH-66.53 1/4 ET-16.1464 1/4 MPH-84.84

Also, what fuel grade do you suggest? Lowest octane or highest? I heard the higher the octane the more power potential but the more compression needed.

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
Your 60fts need some work. I pulled off 2.1s with all seasons lol and i know i can do better.

Run whatever fuel grade your engine is tuned for. I am still on the stock tune (87 octane) but I do run 89 just because...running a higher octane than what your engine is tuned for does nothing (I should take my own advice...).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts