Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not entirely sure how long this has been going on, but my parking brake has issues. Either the springs aren't strong enough, or the cable is stuck, but the driver's side brake seems to stay almost all the way engaged. The other side works fine, but is not enough to actually hold the car. So, since I park on a hill at home, I need to reef on the brake in order to roll slow enough while I start it. Then, when I do drive, the brake squeals from being half engaged. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
8,704 Posts
My guess is the caliper is sticking, not the parking brake. Kind of a common issue. Check the slide pins, clean them up and re-lube them. If they are pitted or worn (less than perfectly round and smooth) then replace them. Worst case scenario is you'll need a new or rebuilt caliper; rockauto.com has them for around $70 if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
No, because if I pull the cable out manually it lets go.
It still might be the caliper that is sticking, but when you pull the line you release it, even though it should already be released.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sounds Familiar...

That sounds a lot like what my dad's Honda Civic was doing. It proved to be the caliper on the driver side.
On the matter of it being the parking brake having the problem, mine is problematic as well. I'm driving a 90 Mustang fastback, and the parking brake is pretty crappy. I'll stop and put it on, and even on a relatively flat surface, Pete (my Mustang) will start rolling. I have to fight to pull it up the rest of the way, and it sort of crunches when I do that, and oftentimes does not work, so I simply have to turn my front wheels hard in either direction and ease very slowly off the footbrake to ensure he doesn't roll away. It's a pain.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I can't really afford a new caliper right now... Any way to fix it or should I just avoid using the brake?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts