Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'd have consulted my Chilton's manual, but cannot for the life of me figure out what I did with it during the move.... I knew I should have left it in the car.

Oh well.

Anyways, well, in the process of fixing the lighting behind my speedometer (one side was unlit), I ended up having to bust the plastic handle off because I could not remove it using the clip (I believe at one point it had been broken off during another attempt to fix something, as there was dried glue behind the handle.

I bought a new knob and pin combo to put in, but I'm having trouble seeing what I need to do to remove the headlight knob's pin from the dashboard so I can put this new one in.

Any direction would be appreciated. Also, please make note on putting the new one in, if anything is going to be any different during this process as well. At the moment, I've been using a pair of pliers to turn on my headlights.... not exactly the most classy method, but hey, it works.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I assume that its a straightforward procedure then?

Remove the bracket holding the knob's twist-activated mechanism, pull it out, unplug the associated cable, somehow detach the knob post from the mechanism and then pop the new one in, and just reverse the method for getting it out in order to put it back in?

I've tried looking this up, but it seems everything deals in simply replacing the knob cap, not the whole knob and post and as tempted as I am to wing it, I'm not sure how delicate this area of the car is, and I'd really hate to muck it up.

·
Registered
138 Posts
It shouldn't be too difficult. Basically remove the knob (the guides are on there for that) and take off the torx screws up top of the dash cluster panel. That will pull right off, then it should be two screws where the headlight switch is. Undo those, and pull it out and it should be a regular snap-in-type connection.

I hope that semi-answers your question. PM me if you have any questions, this is how it works on an 04 at least. Shouldn't be much different.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It shouldn't be too difficult. Basically remove the knob (the guides are on there for that) and take off the torx screws up top of the dash cluster panel. That will pull right off, then it should be two screws where the headlight switch is. Undo those, and pull it out and it should be a regular snap-in-type connection.

I hope that semi-answers your question. PM me if you have any questions, this is how it works on an 04 at least. Shouldn't be much different.

That walkthrough was almost perfect, what little wasn't covered (apparently theres a little button on the side of the unit that I press in while simultaneously pulling the pin out that allows it to release and detach from the mechanism) was easily figured out.

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. Now I can finally stop using a pair of pliers to turn on my headlights!

·
Registered
138 Posts
That walkthrough was almost perfect, what little wasn't covered (apparently theres a little button on the side of the unit that I press in while simultaneously pulling the pin out that allows it to release and detach from the mechanism) was easily figured out.

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. Now I can finally stop using a pair of pliers to turn on my headlights!
You're very welcome :) Not too bad from off the top of my head, haha.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.