Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1997 mustang with a v6 3.8l that was idling and running rough. Check engine light was on & Autozone said it needed a camshaft sensor. I replaced the sensor & shaft that was bad. Now the car will start & idle but when I put it in gear it dies. It also misses when you rev it up when idling. It now is showing code P0320 (Ignition/Dist Engine speed Input Circuit malfunction). The car will idle until it warms up & then it will die & not restart until it cools off. Does anyone have a clue what is wrong???????? Please help as I need to get this running for my son so I don't have to drive him back & forth to work. Freeze data on scanner reads: Load value 56.4%; coolant temp 176 deg; short term fuel trim 1 14.8%; long term fuel trim 1 0%; short term fuel trim 2 16.4%; long term fuel trim 2 10.1%; short term fuel trim 3 28.9%; long term fuel trim 3 50%; long term fuel trim 4 -43.8%; short term fuel trim 4 76.5%; fuel system 1 closed. I/M Monitors on scanner reads: Misfire monitor OK; fuel system monitor OK; comp component OK; Help Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
sounds like your CKP (crankshaft position sensor) has failed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
replaced bad connector on ckp sensor new code P0302

I found that the insulation was off both wires at the connector for the ckp sensor. I got a new connector & soldered the wires & covered the connection with heat shrink tubing. The car now runs for a few miles then the check engine light blinks & the car barely runs. I bought a code reader & am getting code p0302 misfire in cylinder 2. Had a mechanic say it was getting a week spark at 2 & coil was original so he suggested replacing. Put on a new coil & still the same thing, code P0302 after a couple of miles and barely runs for a little while then runs ok for a little while then barely runs again. Any suggestions at this point? Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Don't know if this would do it, but when you replaced the shaft, did you follow the specific setup/alignment steps?
I've never done it myself, so am not even sure what all they are, but have heard they're very specific. Just replacing the top cap/module on the cam position sensor is no big deal, but I've heard the shaft assembly can be the bugger.

Might explain why the ignition codes anyway.

Good luck. Sorry I'm not able to help.

Paul

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tokk to mechanic, needs valve job?

I finally broke down & took it to my mechanic & he said it needs a valve job. Said it probably has a sticking valve & may also have a cracked head, but wouldn't know for sure until he got into it. I am not going to pay as much for a valve job as I did for the car, so I am going to sell it to someone who wants to fix it. Thanks for all the suggestions!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.