Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first post :wavey
I used search for "1997 seized locks" and I didn't find anything too useful.

So here's the scoop.
I bought my sister's 1997 Mustang coupe when she bought her second car. Unfortunately, it sat for about 6 months in an apartment complex parking lot. She claims when she bought the car years ago that the driver's door, passenger door, and trunk locks all seized up at the exact same time (seems a bit coincidental, but okay). She used the keyless entry until the batteries died (both in the car, and the remote). At one point she was climbing through the trunk to get into the car. :laugh: She took it to Ford, and they wanted over $400 to replace the locks.
So, I've been pumping Liquid Wrench in the locks, and giving the key a jiggle, and nothing. No play at all. For the past week I've been doing this. It's becoming a ritual! I've started wondering if there is supposed to be a seperate key for the ignition and locks, and if not, I'm trying to gather as much intel before I pull the door panels off and get in there.
Any tips, tricks, advice, etc? Or if you feel I left something out, just ask and I'll fill in the blanks as best as I can.

Thanks in advance for any help. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
Replacing locks are pretty simple. Remove the inside door panel. Reach up to where the lock is located, and pull out the retaining clip. It looks like a fork with 2 prongs. Then, you can pull out the lock assembly, and remove the arm that is attached to it. You really only need one to get in the driver's door.

You can get separate locks at any auto parts store......

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
The ignition might have been replaced or re-keyed sometime in the past and they didn't bother to change any of the other locks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The ignition might have been replaced or re-keyed sometime in the past and they didn't bother to change any of the other locks.
Thanks, that kinda makes sense. But I do get some jiggle on the driver's side door, but not on the trunk, or passenger door locks. It turns easy in the ignition.
So, could the dealership re-key both the locks and ignition? How much is a re-key? I know just a new keyless entry remote is like $150 just to replace.

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
if the keys suddenly stopped working on your sister then that is not the case..

·
Registered
1 Posts
if the keys suddenly stopped working on your sister then that is not the case..
I'd have to agree with you, my car does the same thing except for the passenger side. It'll cost a fortune at Ford because they'll have to get blank lock cylinders and re-key them to fit the ignition key. They quit making new ignition keys from the VIN here pretty recently also. So if your key is worn out, they'll probably charge for a new ignition cylinder too. :cursing:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.