Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 1997 Corba w/ 33k miles, no mods but for under drive pulleys and KnN Filiter and 3.73 rear gear. The car has never ran low on oil. Threw the belt once with no over heating or fluids spewing etc. That was years ago, the sound just started recently.

Heres a vid, you can hear it exactly at the start of the video for a few seconds, then it stops and comes on again around 20-26 mark and stops again. The rattle is intermittent coming and going at idle. Any thoughts? Thanks

YouTube - ‪CobraNoise3OK.3g2‬‏

·
Registered
806 Posts
was the a/c on or off when you ran the motor?

·
Registered
189 Posts
As mustangsvt 281 suggested the AC can be very noisy, and make it seem like there is a "clicking noise" coming from the car. Try shutting the AC off, listen, then have someone turn on the AC while you listen to see where the clicking is coming from. If it sounds like the noise is coming from the valve area, then it is a head/valve issue.

I am not a professional mechanic, but cobras are known to have valve head/tick issues, and my old 1996 cobra had the valve tick. I would have a professional that trustworthy mechanic to look at it, and that is not going to "rip" you off.

now, I have helped with my profession mechanic friend in rebuilds, tranny rebuilds, and rearend rebuilds on my car. I can tell you, that you may not figure out the problem until you open up the valve cover and take a look. I do know that the heads on these cars new are very expensive to purchase new, but you may be able to get the heads rebuilt or rebuild them yourself. That would be my quess. Good luck and let us know what you figure out.

·
Registered
806 Posts
The head tick was a famous problem with the c heads, it was a common problem in the 99-01 and 03-04. the 96 - 98 didnt really have a huge problem with them but some did. I really think you a/c is making the noise. My camaro did it for about 3 months before i figured out what the problem was. It was the a/c "clutch", when the a/c engaged it didnt make a noise yet when the a/c was off or when it wasnt cycling it would make a ticking noise followed by a loud scraping noise. I replaced most of the a/c parts and the problem went away and my a/c was alot colder. lol

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
The water pump can make a rattling noise when it is failing...put a long screwdriver on it, put your ear on the handle and see if it is making the noise

1 - 5 of 5 Posts