Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking to find out what other people have done to theyre 96-98 cobras to pump out some extra horse's? what kind of chips work best? are pullies any good for the cobra? i already have an intake, (off road) x-pipe, magnaflow mufflers, and thats pretty much it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
man i just picked up a 96 cobra and its a big step up from my 5.0. ive been asking the same questions and ive been hearing different things the most helpful addons ive been told of are pulleys, a CAI, subframe connectors, 4.10 gears, a short throw shifter, and a new exhaust should have you running very low 13's

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey, just thought I'd drop a bug in your ear and say, remember that air=horsepower, fuel+air=more horsepower, and all the horsepower in the world won't get you an inch without proper traction. The way it is now, can you stomp it, get grip, and GO. Knowing mustangs, your answer is probably a resounding "no". Think about that. Too many people today are obsessed with horsepower, and dump tons in their motor, and then get their ass waxed by a 300 horsepower import with all wheel drive. The only differece being that HE got traction, not out-horsed, or out classed you.....just traction....just a thought brother, if you need any more advice, you're in the right place....peace....and happy hunting.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah, i had a 95 5.0 and thats why i went for the cobra, power! ill prolly get the pullies, short shifter and what not. definitly need some gripping tires!

IM LOOKING TO BUT A CLUTCH FOR MY 97 COBRA, IVE HEARD LOTS OF THINGS ABOUT LOTS OF DIFFERENT CLUTCHES. ANY IDEAS OR HELPFULL ADVISE?? RAM, CENTERFORCE, KING COBRA, STAGE?? WHICH DO YOU THONK WOULD WORK BEST??

·
Registered
70 Posts
See sig for stuff that works. The GR40 system provides the traction especially w/ R-compound rubber. Finally got a Pred tune couple weeks ago and did some Seafoam now I need to get back on the dyno. With new tune and stuff below I'm thinking a little over 300rwhp, god willing. Stock, w/ catback was 257rwhp. It all adds up to work together.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got my 96 cobra this summer. I'm a college student aka I'm broke. I found that the best upgrades that were cheap were the CAI, short-throw shifter, underdrive pulleys made a pretty big difference, i went with the King Cobra cluth from ford but i got a deal. you can probably find it cheaper somewhere else. that's all i can afford right now other than appearance mods. Looking for a job and then going for 4.10 or 3.73 gears (gotta do more research), going for deep dish black rims from mustang tuning, lowering kit from eibach, and me and my brother are going to make our own exhaust so we'll see how that goes. We are also gonna start a project on cleaning the IMRC's and from what i heard it makes ur cobra run like new (http://home.flash.net/~ivc1/cobra/imrc.html) directions for doing that if anyone is interested. That's all i the ideas i have for now and until i can afford a supercharger but that will be a while. If anyone has any other good ideas let me know. ---96snake

·
Registered
692 Posts
well if you guys need any help.. ive had this 96 cobra for approx 2 year and have some mods listed in the signature.. and tons more to come.. been doing research for 2 years now.. have my plan in stone just need the $$$ lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
For the rec. I did a dyno with both X and H pypes .And guess what Old fashion H pipe still has the best resolts .X pypes suck and sound terrible LOL.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Personally, I think you should go with 4.30s. These cars rev high enough to allow it. Mine is still VERY streetable in first gear with them. But definitely get some traction. We all know of the GTs that are wastin LS1s just because they reduced all their weight and can get every single horse to the ground. Our snakes have even more to work with....

·
Registered
2 Posts
For the rec. I did a dyno with both X and H pypes .And guess what Old fashion H pipe still has the best resolts .X pypes suck and sound terrible LOL.

You need more than one dyno read to determine that. If you want more torque, then yes, and H pipe is a little better. For most people in the know, Cobras function better with X pipes due to the high revs.(high end) Smoother evacuation= better performance. Your statement is simply not true.

·
Registered
70 Posts
You need more than one dyno read to determine that. If you want more torque, then yes, and H pipe is a little better. For most people in the know, Cobras function better with X pipes due to the high revs.(high end) Smoother evacuation= better performance. Your statement is simply not true.
+1 My x pipe sounds like a high-strung racecar, especially w/ magnapacks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
man i just picked up a 96 cobra and its a big step up from my 5.0. ive been asking the same questions and ive been hearing different things the most helpful addons ive been told of are pulleys, a CAI, subframe connectors, 4.10 gears, a short throw shifter, and a new exhaust should have you running very low 13's
What is the CAI and how will subframe connectors help you out? Thank you. When I bought my car I was told it had different gears in it. They're pretty low (2nd gear at 6000 RPM is around 60MPH). I'm not sure what it may have...I"m guessing about 3.73's? Its a 1996 Cobra...thanks

·
Registered
189 Posts
power more power!

I am not going to spend $1500-2000 in upgrades. All the post here are great but are not worth it.

1). Cold induction---nada on the dyno which makes me wonder if if it even adds hp or torque. 15 hp....yeah right going down hill

2). 4:10 gears-- great at the track sucks on the road. 80 miles an hour and the cobra tach says, " stop it your killing me" at 3 grand. No hp or torque, but I heard it takes a whole 1/3 of a second of your times! WOW.....not!

3). long tube headers and high flow cats. $1000.00 dollars later ( no dyno yet) but for the 15-25 hp Labor is a beeach to put on 8 hours. For the small hp gains not worth it.

4). traction....yeah, that is good thing. But even with the worse driver in the world. punch a ls1, at, with decent traction. your gonna still beat people

Answer. Supercharger or blower. If I do anything else, that is what I am going to do. 100-150 hp gain bolt on. If you do any upgrades, the charger brings it out.

I would put a K&N filter, high flow mufflers, 3:73 gear and that is it..... if I did over. Not to expensive any more money would be a waste.

Good luck,

Rich

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.