Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 Cobra with 77K miles. Temp guage going up to just under the red line. Replaced t-stat and refilled coolant. The temp is still going up to the red line. A/C blows warm when car is idling. Starts blowing cold as you get moving. Waterpump seems fine. No play in the pulley when belt is off. No noise coming from it. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Is your fan turning on?

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
yeah, sounds like fan or fan motor is not working properly

·
Registered
189 Posts
after checking the fan to ensure it is working, I would replace that radiator. I do not remember or not, but my old 96 cobra would overheat with the AC on while driving on the interstate. I purchased one from American muscle. Those radiators were very thin, and would not circulate the coolant properly. A problem with the later cobras. Once replaced, no more problems. Just a thought.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The fan is working properly. I don't think I would have to replace the radiator. The 96's were the ones that had the overheating problems from too small of a radiator. The cars never overheated before and it has 77k miles. I am going to "burp" the coolant system when I home from work tonight. When changing the t-stat I noticed coolant leaking from the degas bottle where the low coolant sensor plugs into the bottom so I siliconed that very good. Hopefully "burping" the system will fix this. I'll post and let everyone know if it does. Thanks.

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
I'd have to disagree that the too small radiator was only a 96 problem...they did issue a TSB for it, but really for a complex engine like ours you really should pop for a nice 3 core...mine is from Steeda
If yours has lost some efficiency, which it probably has over the years, your margin of error is zero...
It's really easy to blow that engine, don't be frugal, get the new radiator.

·
Registered
64 Posts
If your cooling system is in proper working order, it is adequate for an N/A Car. The problem/TSB for 96 Cobra's had nothing to do with the radiator itself, it was the density of the AC condensor in front of it. The TSB replaces the condensor with the later unit.

It sounds to me like either your water pump isn't working well, or there is blockage or air in the system somewhere. My wife's 97 has a Stant superstat 188 degree (stock temp to my knowledge) and a completely stock cooling system, and the temp hovers between 195 and 200 degrees (low speed fan kicking on/off) pretty much all of the time. FWIW, 195 degrees on her car is between the M and A on NORMAL. She always thinks it runs hot, but reading the EEC and using a temp gun both show 195 degrees, which is perfectly normal.

Burping the system is very important and can be difficult on these cars. The factory plug is often seized badly. I simply remove the hose from the front of it (below the plug), then drill and tap for a 1/4" NPT pipe plug in the larger plug. It is soft metal, it drills and taps easily. Then I reinstall the hose, and I'll use a small funnel to fill from the burp hole as well as the cap on the expansion tank. Usually this leads to a very quick burping after the engine is started, if it needs it at all.

I should mention that I did drill a 1/16" hole in her thermostat, in the flat flange where it's exposed and not covered by the O-ring. This helps coolant equalize temps on both sides of the thermostat and makes it warm up more evenly.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think it may be fixed. I burped the car yesterday and filled it from the crossover plug. I let the car run with the overflow cap off and it didn't get hot. Nor did it get hot this morning on my 7 mile drive to work. We'll see how she does on the way home when it is 80deg out. Thanks everyone for their help.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Still getting hot. I'm at my wit's end.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ended up being the burping issue. Drilled a small hole in t-stat and burped the car. No problems after that. Thanks for everyone's help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts