Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's the deal, recently bought a 97 GT convertible. No manual and already discovered a few electrical problems.. biggest issue, the top doesn't work.
The e-brake sensor is connected so that's cool.. prior owner must've spilled soda from the cup holder cause I had to take apart and clean the convertible button. Whatever the second button is for (I think it's the automatic backseat windows button??) is not connected.
When the e-brake is engaged nothing happens to the top as the button is depressed. When the e-brake is Not engaged, there's an electrical buzzing noise coming from under the dash when I go to depress the convertible top's button. (no noise or movement whatsoever coming from the convertible top's motor)
I've located the fuse box under the hood, and under the driver's side dash. all fuses are good. Although one of the sockets in the fuse box under the dash looks slightly scorched, like it shorted. Could be relevant, don't know.
Also, the turn signals don't work (even though the fuses are good, bulbs are good cause hazard lights work perfectly). I mention this because it's common that some functions are tied together, i.e. brake lights + dash lights, etc..). Again, could be relevant, don't know.

sorry to make such a long post but wanted to get enough info out there to help narrow down the probable causes.. process of elimination. I could really use some help.. it's HOT OUTSIDE! oh..and the AC doesn't blow cold air but idle goes up if I turn it on. Arrgg!!!

Panko

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
This will likely involve alot of electrical trouble shooting. Do you have a VOM meter and are you willing to use it?

You have covered several LARGE items. Going to start with a quick overview of what to do. Will go from here depending upon your response.

With regards to the turn signals, this is frequently the multi-function switch. The main clue is the hazards work.

The switch can be rebuilt. I have recently answered several posts regarding how to repair it. Search through my posts. If you have specific questions, post back.

On the convertible top, it does not make sense that you hear a buzzing noise when the e-brake is not engaged. The convertible top control circuit e-brake safety is open when the e-brake is not engaged. This should defeat the circuit.

Let's start by confirming the e-brake switch. Does the dash brake warning light come on when the parking brake is set? If not, this tells me that the parking brake switch is not working.

The parking brake switch needs to provide ground to the LB/BK wire when the parking break is set. Seems to me that a drink spill could easily affect this switch.

Regarding the AC. The fact the idle goes up indicates the PCM is aware the AC has been selected. I'm assuming that the AC clutch is NOT engaging. First we should confirm the AC clutch coil by applying +12 volts to the BK/Y wire at the clutch. This should engage the clutch. This test should be done with the key off.

It also seems to me that the burned fuse panel could be central to many of the problems and should not be ignored.

Can you post pictures?

I'm not inclined to give a lengthly post on how to trouble shoot at least 3 major items until I know that you are willing to do the tests and post the results.

If you are an avid DIY'er, I can help with wiring diagrams. PM if interested.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1st reply..

Thanks for your reply, this site and everyone on it are terrific.

I will take pictures, check out some of your previous posts, and use my meter to check as mentioned in your reply. (what setting should the volt meter be set to while checking for charge? ..I usually use this on my motorcycle).

E-Break Light does in fact turn on when break lever is pulled.

Terminology clarification please.. DIY?

More to come..

·
Registered
288 Posts
Thanks for your reply, this site and everyone on it are terrific.

I will take pictures, check out some of your previous posts, and use my meter to check as mentioned in your reply. (what setting should the volt meter be set to while checking for charge? ..I usually use this on my motorcycle).

E-Break Light does in fact turn on when break lever is pulled.

Terminology clarification please.. DIY?

More to come..
DIY means DO(ing) IT YOURSELF!!

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
First, confirm the convertible top circuit breaker in the engine compartment fuse panel.

Confirm fuse #1 in the I/P panel.

Note, this is the tech section. If you need instructions on how to test for 12 volts DC, perhaps the services of a professional should be considered.

Remove the rear seats. It does not require tools and is very easy to to. I belive the convertible top raise and lower relays are near the convertible top motor.

Confirm +12 volts at the R/LB wire at both relays.

Confirm +12 volts with the key on, brake set, top in raise positon on the raise relay P wire.

Confirm +12 volts with the key on, brake set, top is lower position on the lower relay GY/LB wire.

The above tests will pin point were the problem is.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts