Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a 97 GT not too long ago. The issue that I am having is that the gears will grind at a standstill when I put it into gear, with the clutch fully depressed. I have a T45 tranny and it does not do it every time, just whenever it feels like it. What areas should I be looking for?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
First try adjusting the cable, and maybe changing the tranny fluid. If the clutch is properly tensioned, its likely the synchros or something else in the tranny. Sometimes a fluid change will help, especially if you use gm or penzoil synchromesh. Does it have the factory cable and quadrant or is it aftermarket with a firewall adjuster?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I changed the tranny 3 days ago. Nothing funny drained out and filled it back to specs. Everything else is stock. And tried adjusting it the way the manual says. I can tell you that the clutch from the previous owner was never changed. So from 49k-140k miles its the same. I just got done driving it for about an hour and a half, going easy on it and hard a few times and it didn't want to grind at all. Im completely lost on this one.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One other thing is that i noticed that the position the clutch grabs is a little bit higher than when I first got it. Don't know if that is of interest to anyone.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
First try adjusting the cable, and maybe changing the tranny fluid. If the clutch is properly tensioned, its likely the synchros or something else in the tranny. Sometimes a fluid change will help, especially if you use gm or penzoil synchromesh. Does it have the factory cable and quadrant or is it aftermarket with a firewall adjuster?

racin366 is definitely on the right track. :bigthumbsup
I agree and would check the clutch adjustment before making any major decisions.

General rule of thumb is you need between 1/8" and 1/4" clearance between the face of the throw out bearing the fingers of the pressure plate when the pedal is at the rest position. Use a mechanics mirror and a shop light to look up in the clutch fork opening and see if you can tell what that gap is. If it is further than 1/4", adjust it so that the bearing is closer to the fingers BUT do not adjust it to the point of having the T/O riding on the fingers all the time.

You say you just changed the fluid, what fluid did you use? Is there a pattern as to when it grinds more often, say, when it's cold or after it get's to operating temp.?
If you're not already using it, try switching fluids to Mobil 1 ATF or GM Syncromesh #12345349. In your local parts store, there is a Pennzoil Syncromesh that is the same as the name brand GM stuff, but cheaper. It doesn't have a part number on it but on the back label, it says equivalent to GM # 12345349. Be sure to fill it to the proper level. Keep adding it until it starts to come out of the fill hole then plug it it up and try driving it again.

I don't think it is time for a rebuild yet. If the syncros and/or blocking rings were bad, it would grind all the time. That's not to say that the teeth on them aren't getting rounded now, they may be. Once they all are rounded, the tranny will grind all the time. :bigthumbsup

Richard
Tech Support
Tremec TKO, T45 & T56 Transmission Systems

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good news. I adusted it a couple times (it is the factory clutch and aduster) and it clicked both times. Now it does not want to grind at all, except for reverse sometimes. It would grind instantly after starting it up in the morning before work when put into 1st, not anymore now.I will be getting a new adustable cable this week and sounds like that will fix it. I used O' Reilly's ATF with some Lucas ATF. Thanks guys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.