Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving my 1997 4.6L GT, transmission got stuck in first gear. Finally found a replacement T-45. Trying to pull old transmission out, all bolts are out but it still won't drop. Since it broke in 1st gear - I was told it was a shifting fork that broke - can there be anything else holding the transmission in at the engine?

S

·
0 Posts
Welcome to AFM! I moved this to the 4.6 Tech section to get you some help. Thanks for joining!
:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
64 Posts
I changed my clutch last sunday, its a ROYAL PITA.
if you have all the bellhousing bolts, h-pipe, driveshaft, starter, those little bolts on the front of the block plate, clutch cable, the whole shifter assembly, then you should be able to put a screw jack on the front of the engine, and lean the whole thing back. it will take ALOT of forcing and finessing to get it out.

Just make sure you don't undertake this alone!

it took me and a buddy a while, and we were doing it at my work (4 bay, 3 lift shop)

TAKE YOU"RE TIME! this is not something you want to have to do twice, and make sure you put a clutch in while you have everything apart.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Guessing you forgot the starter? Or maybe you only took out 2/3 of the starter bolts and didn't notice the 3rd one on top that is a huge PITA?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for your reply - very helpful. But, can you elaborate on these "little screws on the front of the block plate" please? We have all the bell housing bolts out, the h-pipe, the clutch and the shifter assembly all off. It still seems to be connected to the motor somehow...anymore insight? Thank you again!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
There is a block plate on the front of the tranny that is behind the flywheel, looking at the trans from the front side under the car it will be right in front of your face. Now be sure all your housing bolts are out, visually look at every hole. Make sure your starter is dangling. There are 2 dowels that are in the engine block that are used to line up the tranny when your going in with it and i think a bolt runs through one but none the less sometimes these dowels get stuck in the housing of the tranny and you have to pry it out. Just make sure everything is disconnected before you pry on it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
AND to add to that...make sure the transmission is supported in some way!!! that thing falling can and WILL do some damage to anything under it. my shin has a nice scar from hitting the bellhousing while the t56 was on the ground....

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
AND to add to that...make sure the transmission is supported in some way!!! that thing falling can and WILL do some damage to anything under it. my shin has a nice scar from hitting the bellhousing while the t56 was on the ground....
Amen to that, I almost broke my hand while changing the clutch in my buddies 03 mach. The tranny fell off the jack.......bad day for me!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts