Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to change the plugs on the 97 GT. What is the best way going through it, looks like the fuel rail is in the way of the plugs. I know how to change plugs, not a biggie, just more crammed in there is all.

·
Registered
22 Posts
you dont need to remove the fuel rail the coil packs bend so you can easily get to the cylinders dont waste ur time taking off the fuel rail, and getting gas on ur headers

·
Registered
128 Posts
96 - 98 GTs do not come with coil on plugs they come with coil packs. The only thing you would have to remove would be the plug wires. Have a swivel and an 3 in ext. handy as this might make your life a little easier on you on the plugs near the firewall. I think you are supposed to torque them down to 15 - 20 ft. lbs. I am not to sure about those numbers, I am sure someone on here can give a 100% sure answer on the torque specs. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I was hoping not to remove the fuel rail.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
No reason to remove the fuel rail, like above, you just need a plug socket, swivel, and an extension. It can be useful, but not need to have a length of rubber fuel hose to get the plugs in and out. And make sure to use copper plugs, they work much better in performance applications, motorcraft sp505 are the ones.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Well for what its worth i just replaced both heads cause of "spark plug ejection" and if I remember right ALL DATA said to torque the plugs to 11ft Lb. but this is on my "2003 GT 4.6 SOHC"

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
and make sure you use anti-seize on the threads, there's only a couple threads to begin with, you wouldn't want to lose them the next time you pull the plugs out, and go through what chaddict just did.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So any basic spark plug will work for now, until I go S/C? You hear any good reviews on the MSD coil packs?

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
MSD coil packs are not really worth it unless you have a power adder, and even then its arguable whether you'll see any difference. If the cop's you have are working well you'd be better off spending the money on something else.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
make sure the engine is completely cool when doing them to help eliminate any thread stripping issues.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Have a swivel and an 3 in ext. handy as this might make your life a little easier on you on the plugs near the firewall.
Ditto. I just changed mine like 1 hour ago. These are all you'll need. And grab a packet of sparkplug/boot grease for the threads and wire boots.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.