Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 97 GT with a start / no start issue. I can drive it around days at a time with no problem, it starts every time. Then some days, it will refuse to start at all. The days that it doesn't start, I checked for fuel pressure at the rail, and nothing. Sometimes this spell will only last for a couple of hours, sometimes it will be a couple of days before it decides to start.

I checked the fuse for the fuel pump, no problem there. The fuel filter is new, and the fuel pump performs great while running, no bogging, solid idle, normal acceleration. I've also made sure that the cut off switch isn't thrown. This leads me to believe that it is the fuel pump relay in the ccrm. I've tried tapping on it with a screw driver when it refuses to start, but its in such a weird angle that I don't think it did any good (if that would even help anyway). Also, the weather doesn't seem to be a factor at all either.

Any opinions? I haven't experienced anything like this before.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
First, you have a problem in that the pressure at the rail is ZERO. The fuel system should HOLD pressure between starts. So the fact that the pressure is zero says there's a leak somewhere. For a return based fuel system this could be:
  • The fuel pressure regulator
  • one or more fuel injectors
  • the flue pump check valve isn't holding

Try this. Cycle the key on/pause/off several times. Listen for the fuel pump to run each time. Does this improve starting? If so, suspect fuel pressure leak down as the cause.

If the fuel pump does not run at each key cycle, STOP and find out why.

If trying to narrow down where to look, the next time this happens measure the initial key on voltage at the trunk mounted IFS switch.

IF there is voltage, the problem is down stream towards the fuel pump.

IF there's NO voltage, the problem is upstream towards the CCRM, fuse, ignition switch, ground, wiring, PCM.

Note, this is NOT a PATS problem. Ford factory PATS does not with hold power to the fuel pump. It works by with holding the fuel injector pulse.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would there be any indication of a leak somewhere? It never smells like fuel, nor are there any spots on the ground around the car after sitting. I will run some of the other tests you suggested today and report back later.

And thanks for clarifying that it is not PATS. I never thought it was in the first place, but you never know.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
**Update**

It has been starting for the passed couple of days, so I haven't been able to check anything. But it does hold fuel pressure between starts, so I'm not sure what was happening the last time it wouldn't start. I'll try and keep up with updates of anything else.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
***Update again***

Found a CCRM from a buddy, put it in last week. Drove it around for about 5 days with no problem, then all of a sudden, BAM! No start. Sounded to me like the fuel pump was turning on with the key. Checked fuel pressure at the rail, 37 psi. I am starting to think that perhaps this isn't a fuel issue, maybe its an ignition issue of some sort. Can anybody chime in with these new details?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So originally, it was the CCRM. We figured out the reason it didn't start the other day was vapor lock. Must have gotten some air into the fuel line somehow. Perhaps having low gas and being parked on a steep hill for a time. Anyway, I haven't had any problems since we figured this out. Thanks wmburns for being responsive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts