Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1997 Mustang GT 4.6 sohc manual trans. Okay so i was headed to work from school on some back roads. When my right side of the car went a little off the edge of the road. There is a pretty tall shoulder here to it was pretty rough and the car shook violently as i went off then tried to get it back on. About one or two seconds later the car died while i was driving. So i pulled off the side of the road and tried to start it again and nothing. It turns over but wont run. So i put my foot to the floor and tried it and it spat and sputtered but didnt run. So i called my buddy to come have a look at it and give me a ride so we tried resetting the computer by pulling the fuse for it. We waited then replaced it and i gave it another go. It turned over and kinda ran, like $%^& for about 5 seconds died again. So im stupmed and this is my daily driver and i have to get it up and going again... any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Zac :headscratch:

·
Registered
210 Posts
sounds like something came loose check ur maf sensor harness and make sure its tight thats what it sounds like to me make sure u check all ur harness connections, do u have good voltage from your alt?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My buddy chris looked at the MAF sensor but ill double check. We looked around real good and didnt see anything loose, but its always worth a doubel check. And ya my alternator is giving good voltage, my radar detector has a volatage gauge built in.

·
Registered
145 Posts
1997 Mustang GT 4.6 sohc manual trans. Okay so i was headed to work from school on some back roads. When my right side of the car went a little off the edge of the road. There is a pretty tall shoulder here to it was pretty rough and the car shook violently as i went off then tried to get it back on. About one or two seconds later the car died while i was driving. So i pulled off the side of the road and tried to start it again and nothing. It turns over but wont run. So i put my foot to the floor and tried it and it spat and sputtered but didnt run. So i called my buddy to come have a look at it and give me a ride so we tried resetting the computer by pulling the fuse for it. We waited then replaced it and i gave it another go. It turned over and kinda ran, like $%^& for about 5 seconds died again. So im stupmed and this is my daily driver and i have to get it up and going again... any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Zac :headscratch:
It could be a number of things that went wrong. I would check your crankshaft sensor, (location shown below) and the connection to it. The violent shaking could have damaged the crankshaft sensor. It could also be your inertia switch, it may have tripped and needs to be reset. It is located in your trunk on the driver side bolted to the body. You need to remove the panel that covers your driver side tail light fixture. It usually has a red button that need to be pressed down and remain down. If you find that the switch is up, that means it tripped out. I would also check all of the fuses in both of your fuse boxes. You have a fuse box in your engine compartment and one in your car on the driver side somewhere. Take the time and pull each fuse one by one and test them all with a multi tester. It could be that one or more fuses blew with all that shaking going on. Good luck, Tommy.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Check your inertia switch, might have tripped it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
okay thanks ill def have to check that inertia switch.... that could very possibly be it, that is what my dads friend though it could be but i couldnt find the stupid thing..... thanks, ill check it tonight b4 we load it onto a trailer to take it to my house.... keep throwing out things for me to check.... its alot easier than me just guessing whats wrong....

thanks

·
Registered
145 Posts
Inertia Switch

This is what your inertia switch looks like. You need to remove that thin panel that covers your driver side tail light lens area. The switch should be mounted to the body in that area. Good luck, Tommy.

·
Registered
409 Posts
zmds17:

Fuel pump? If this is the original FP, it may just have decided to quit. Fuel pressure regulator may have failed (it has a rubber diaphram and it may be rotted out). Put a pressure gauge on the Schrader valve and you should get 39 psig on the rail.

HTH,

Chris

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.