Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried looking around and wasn't able to find any real method to tell if the A/C is working but simply needs recharging or the compressor is bad.

It ran fine, but eventually stopped, when I set it to A/C, it "sounds" like there is a differentiation in the air flow sounds, but quite frankly, I'd prefer to know if there is a visible means (somewhere in the engine compartment to watch or what have you) to see whether its kicking on and just blowing nothingness, or if it really is dead.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Do you hear hissing when you turn off the fan? If there is hissing, the compressor is working. I had an AC problem last year and tried the DIY way, but I wasn't worth it. I ended up getting it checked and recharged buy a reputable shop. That fixed the problem.

·
Registered
179 Posts
you should see the pully engage with the ac turned on. seeing that the ac is turning is about the only visual check. have it checked out and recharged. i dont know of any other sure ways of checking your ac. you could do it yourself but i think its a hit and miss diy project. ac needs to be charged with a proper amount of coolant , too much can be as bad as not enough is what ive heard.

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
A/C's for our Mustangs take 34oz of charge. That would be 2-12oz cans of R134A, and 1-10oz can of oil charge.......

The A/C compressor will not kick on if the system has no pressure in it........

Total cost is around $20.00, or take it to a shop for $59.99+.......

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
if your compressor is dead let me know i have one laying around in my box of stuff. Just let me or my father (shinerstang) know

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A/C's for our Mustangs take 34oz of charge. That would be 2-12oz cans of R134A, and 1-10oz can of oil charge.......

The A/C compressor will not kick on if the system has no pressure in it........

Total cost is around $20.00, or take it to a shop for $59.99+.......
Well I suspect that it still works, when I turn on full AC without the fan, I can hear/feel a very slight amount of air moving, so I think I'm golden in terms of it working.

Now for an at-home charge, where would I fill it at (Rather, what I mean to ask is how do I do so, if it requires dismantling, I'm probably better off having it done by a professional.). I still can't find my flipping Chilton's manual and there is a ton of stuff I can't get done without it... too cheap to buy another one :)

If you don't mind, I'd like to hijack my own thread with a side question. I got thrown a 0141 Error, and was told its referring to my Bank 1 oxygen sensor, where is this sensor located on the engine? I would like to replace it but can't find any engine diagrams (maybe I'm not searching correctly?) or pictures to help me out.

Thanks Shiner, appreciate the help!

if your compressor is dead let me know i have one laying around in my box of stuff. Just let me or my father (shinerstang) know
Will do, appreciate it! Buying used is certainly a better option than buying new since god knows Ford will want my soul and firstborn for a new A/C compressor, and I'm not knowledgeable/smart enough to shop around :so

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.