Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im pretty sure i have a leaky piston ring. does anyone know a quick fix or a way to temporarly stop it untill i can rebuild my motor?

i was thinking thicker oil but im not sure if that will hurt the engine even more or not

·
Registered
41,825 Posts
What year of car are we talking about here. And what motor you running.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Leaking piston ring

If in fact you have a ring that is getting bypassed there is only one fix for this problem. RE-RING THE PISTON. Rings are fragile in nature and if you have a broken ring its a matter of a short time before the cylinder is scored beyond repair. How do you know you have a leaking ring? Did you do a leak down test? Using heavy oil is a waste of time and money. Find someone who knows what they are doing and get a leak down test performed then you will know what action to take. best of luck Rascal.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
smoke comes out of my right tailpipe when i idle and then hit the gas. its a light color. i thought it was steam at first from like a leaking head gasket, but it lingers like its oil burning.

its a 97 mustang gt with a 4.6 in it

·
Registered
472 Posts
If it hangs in the air its oil and a sure sign of valve guide, worn seals, or Piston rings. Just to be on the safe side check the oil and the radiator for signs of water(Whiteish deposit on stick) or low water and or bubbles which would lead me to believe a blown head gasket. I would also check the plugs for signs of oil contamination or water seepage.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ya thats what i thought. oil. looks like its time to get ahold of some money and rebuild the thing

·
Registered
472 Posts
Anthony, just a thought check the local wrecking yards for a good used low miler engine. It may be your best option and wind up with a weekend install and get you back on the road a lot cheaper time and money wise.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ya i just thought about that. or craigslist for a wrecked car with a good engine

1 - 8 of 8 Posts