Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, recently while driving the mustang around I have notice a clicking noise coming from the rear end. Almost like a card in bike spokes. You can't hear it from inside the car unless I drive by a guard rail or something that echoes it, but outside the car its easily noticeable. I took off the brake pads, calipers, and rotors and spun the axle by hand and it sounds to me like its coming from the differential. Any ideas of what it could be, or where i should start. A couple people i asked mention the wheel bearing, but i thought they more squealed/moaned when they go out. Any input would be appreciated before i tear into my rear end. also it has 75,000 miles on it and i have never touched the differential.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
thats pretty low miles for it to be making noises, is there any play in the gears, say if you jack it up and try to turn the wheel with it in park does it like to turn a lot without spinning the driveshaft?

·
Registered
408 Posts
First, the differential needs attention no matter what. I would do something to the similar: Get some Amsoil 90W gear oil in there with FRPP friction modifier, just for safety reasons. Its easy to do. If the fluid isn't clear, blue maybe, flush it by putting some cheap gear oil in there & change it again after 25-50 miles till it's clear again. (I had to do it 3 times till clear)
Would the clicking happen to stop if you slightly depress the clutch pedal?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah i figured now is the time to give it some attention regardless of the problem. I have the diff cover off right now and spun the tires again. There isn't a lot of play in the gears, and now that the covers off the clicking sounds like its coming more from over by the rear left tire instead of inside the differential. So most likely the wheel bearing right? I'm headed to Autozone in a while to pick up some gear oil.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts