Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1997 Mustang Saleen S281 #30 will turns over but will not start. It has been sitting untouched in my garage for 6+ years. I have a charged battery. I have over 12 volts testing at one of the injectors. I have spark from the coils. Fuel Pump Fuse under the hood is good. When I depress the valve on the fuel injection line fuel shoots up only about an inch... doesn't look like 60lbs psi to me... I would think it would shoot up to the hood. Ive checked the fuel pump breaker in the trunk... it has not been tripped but I pushed the red reset button anyway. The next thing I should check is the fuel filter but I cant find it. Then I should replace the fuel pump but I really don't want to drop the tank.... It's completely full. Where is the filter and or did I miss anything obvious? Thanks!

·
Registered
288 Posts
if its sat that long i bet the screen on the pump is all gummed up with gunk or the pump itself is bad. i would find the filter and check it (not sure but it might be between the tank and axel like my 5.0) take it and drain it and then wipe one end off and blow in it. if theres a lot of resistance then thats probably the problem. if its free flowing then its gonna be something with the pump. if you get everything quiet in your garage or wherever the car is sitting, meaning no radio noise or anything you should be able to hear that pump kick on if its working properly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah I can't hear the pump but I have some pressure at the fuel injection line under the hood... I cant figure that one

·
Registered
288 Posts
it may just not be working well enough to be audible. next thing to do is find that filter and pull it off and check it. BE VERRRRRY CAREFUL WITH THE CLIPS THAT HOLD IT TO THE LINES.

·
Registered
288 Posts
yeah if theyre the same kind as mine they can get very brittle. they arent expensive or anything just a pain in the butt to make a trip to the store for.use a screwdriver to ease them out and they oughtta slip right out. make sure you look real good at how theyre in casue if you dont get em right when you put em back in youll have a fire on your hands lol

·
Registered
174 Posts
Try pulling a vaccum line off and spraying a very little spray of brake parts cleaner in it and try to start it. If it starts and shuts off your not getting enough fuel. I would invest in some fresh gas as well if you haven't already. When you turn the key to the run position you should hear the fuel pump prime for a couple of seconds. A fuel pressure tester would be very helpful in this situation.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts