Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone run across this problem? 97 GT turn signals will only work with the emergency flasher on. The emergency flasher does not work when the button is depressed but the turn signals will work. All bulbs good, fuses good, put new flasher in with no luck. The turn signals work good with the emergency flasher button depressed. Got me scratching my head help............

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Bad multi-function switch.

There are tons of contacts inside. It's possible to fix these yourself by opening up and cleaning all contacts. Regrease with silcone di-electric grease.

Be fore warned. Tons of spings and other small parts. Take lots of pictures. Take your time and it can be done without too much trouble.

Another option is to get a replacement unit from a salvage yard. Clean the replacement. Then swap in the cleaned replacement. The difference is that if everything goes bad, it won't be the end of the world.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Was afraid that was gonna be the problem. Heard it is a bear to change. Thanks for confirming my worst fear.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
If you don't mind getting a ready to install unit, it's not really that hard to change. A Chlton's manual may give additional confidence to do the job yourself.

Call the dealer and ask how much to have the dealer do the work. Might make the decision easy.

>>
Multifunction Switch
Removal
Disconnect the battery ground cable.
Remove the ignition switch lock cylinder.
Insert the ignition key into the ignition switch lock cylinder and turn to RUN position.
Push the ignition switch lock cylinder release tab with a punch while pulling out the ignition switch lock cylinder.
Remove the tilt wheel handle.
Remove the upper and lower steering column shrouds.
Remove the screws.
Remove the upper and lower steering column shrouds.
Remove the multifunction switch.
Remove the screws.
Disconnect the electrical connectors.
Remove the multifunction switch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for a wealth of information. Removing the ignition switch kinda worries me but I may give it a shot. What is your opinion on an after market switch? They have a new one on ebay for $20 with free shipping? It might be worth $20 to give it a shot. Thanks again for all your help.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Regarding removing the ignition switch, once you do it the first time, you won't believe how easy it is. Of course the secret is to have a working key.

Since you asked for an opinion......

I wouldn't buy a multi-function switch from ebay. I would go instead to my local salvage yard. Then at least I could look the guy in the eye if it didn't work.

Ford used the same multi-function switch in multiple applications. In fact, the same switch with a slightly different stalk is used in Crown Vic/Grand Marquis/Town Car. How many of those cars do you think are setting in junk yards?

This is also where the experience of the salvage yard operator can be an asset. They have a better idea of what will interchange and what won't. However, it's always better to have the old part with you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would like to thank you again for all of your help in this matter. I am gonna give it a try and if I screw up I can get it towed into my mechanics to straighten out if need be. Been watching the ignition switch removals on youtube and it does not look that bad. Thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts