Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i guess i should start by saying this is my first post w00t:gringreen. Any ways i own a 97 mustang v6 3.8l and i want more HP. i've called performance shops, shopped around and nothing seems to do it. What would be the easiest/cheapest/best way to add some tire-smoking throttle killing horsepower. I know v6's aren't know for their huge HP gains. I want maybe 300-400HP daily driver, and can pretty much install anything myself. i was thinking maybe supercharger, turbocharger, new performance chip. there was a shop telling me they can get me 300 hp for 7k which seemed too expensive. lemmie no wht u guys think.

·
Banned
9,214 Posts
heck u drop in a super charger...ull be up there

how about start with a CAI a tuner and a set of gears? if u plan on SC later dont go too high a gear

·
Banned
9,214 Posts
oh and a T loc 15 characters

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
a set of split port heads and lower intake manifold from a 99-04 3.8L stang, a windstar upper intake manifold, cai, udp's, exhuast, tuner, shoot, thats almost 75hp right there. a nice cam on top of all that should add another 20-30hp, and thats all staying N/A

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i just threw a bbk CAI the other day, an i still got the bruised knuckles to prove it =]. but yea a turbo/super charger would def give it a kick, i also heard that switching to an electric fan will free up some easy HP, since its not robbing any power from the engine cuz it would be run through the battery. any truth to this or is that just a clever marketing scheme?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok bought a tune, bought some new pullys but unfortunatly i cannot find the intake manifold off a newer mustang, so any links, pics, ebay listings ect would be appreciated and are you saying tht any intake off a 99-04 3.8L mustang will work?

P.s. like i said i can pretty much fix anything but i just started modding my car so i get a lil caught up by the lingo, what are the T loc 15 characters and what is the split port heads? sry to b a n00b:cursing: [hahah i couldn't resist]

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
The 94-98 V6 had single-port heads/intakes. The intakes only had one port allowing air into the combustion chamber and the heads did not flow for **** in stock form. The 99-04 V6 had split-port heads that had two intake ports that promoted low and upper range power as well as much better flowing heads. That is what gave them 190hp compared to the 94-98 150hp.

Doing a split-port swap with a ported lower intake and a Windstar upper intake along with full bolt-ons would probably get you around 220-230hp N/A, add a mild cam to that and you could maybe see 240hp. T-lok is the lsd for our cars basically, it is what makes both of the rear tires spin since the V6 comes stock with an open differential and allows only the right rear tire to spin. Although. If you are aiming for 300+hp I would suggest a stronger unit than the Ford t-lok or an upgrade to the 8.8" rear end found in the GT's. Also an aluminum flywheel and driveshaft would help to get things up and spinning a lot faster. You will need a stronger clutch if you are manual. If you are actually serious about big numbers then you will also need to upgrade your internals on the engine. They will not last too long at 300+hp. I would also suggest doing at least a small amount of suspension work too.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
also i have a 56mm BBK throttle body and spacer, doing a split port swap would this mean getting a new throttle body?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lol i did some research and yea im pretty clear on wht i had to do, i thought i just had to change out the lower and top intake but i've come to find out its much more involved thn tht. but whts this abt an entire system for sale? and does anyone have DETAILED instructions on how i would swap out the ports and maybe add some easy HP while i had the engine all torn up ANY AND ALL ADVICE would be appreciated :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hmmm well isnt it just switching out the lower and top manifold and and bypassing the "return fuel" garbage? and what else should i get done while im on this other thn a tune, maybe a new camshaft, polished heads?

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
hmmm well isnt it just switching out the lower and top manifold and and bypassing the "return fuel" garbage? and what else should i get done while im on this other thn a tune, maybe a new camshaft, polished heads?
you have to swap to split-port heads also. and dont you already have an electric fan...?

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
A cam will help out and you have to swap out the single-port heads for a set of split-port heads too. Yes, if you were to get a set of p/p split-port heads then the power would definitely increase a lot.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
to b honest im not sure its an electric fan, i rlly didnt look too far into it i just heard it thought someone might be able to have some imput,

ok so switch out the two manifolds the new heads, cams, the fuel rails. i was just windering how difficult this swap was, this is my first time going this far into my engine and i didnt want to mess anything up cuz of screwing around and i can pay for a shop to do it but i think i would get much more satisfaction if i did the swap myself:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
is there some way someone can give me an ENTIRE list i will need for this swap (INCLUDING PARTS THAT WILL GIVE ME THE BIGGEST HP GAINS, since i'm ripping up my engine i want to do it once and get the max gains out of it)

and will i need any modifications on my part (other than the fuel rails that i intend to buy already fabricated) or is this pretty much a straightforward swap?? since this is my daily driver that gets me to and from work everyday i can maybe take an entire weekend, sun up to sun down, to swap it but not longer

as always any and all input is def appreciated

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
ok if you have the money for the parts+money for a shop to do a swap.... which would be $$$$ for labor...
Y not just have supersix p&p your heads and intakes? that way you can just take the stuff off and then put it back on. Pick up some 24# injectors, and a tune. Much easier than a swap and no need for a parts list!
The thing is a ported single port setup will flow much better than a stock split port.
My car with the supersix stage 2+ single port heads and stage 3 intakes with a cam spec'd for a P/A made 177hp/206tq at the wheels. Now that was also with an auto tranny that wasnt too healthy either.
my 2 cents added

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
ok if you have the money for the parts+money for a shop to do a swap.... which would be $$$$ for labor...
Y not just have supersix p&p your heads and intakes? that way you can just take the stuff off and then put it back on. Pick up some 24# injectors, and a tune. Much easier than a swap and no need for a parts list!
The thing is a ported single port setup will flow much better than a stock split port.
My car with the supersix stage 2+ single port heads and stage 3 intakes with a cam spec'd for a P/A made 177hp/206tq at the wheels. Now that was also with an auto tranny that wasnt too healthy either.
my 2 cents added
That is a fair summation, but don't forget that we dropped your compression ratio because we knew we were adding a good amount of boost. If we were going N/A or stock compression, the figures would have been much higher.....

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.