Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its throwing code 0141, bank 1 sensor 1, before the cats.

Where is this on the engine, and is it a relatively simple replacement?

I'm trying to save money and was hoping to do this myself. I still can't find my Chilton's manual and I'm too cheap to buy a new one. As a result, I can't figure out where my sensors are, much less how to replace them. The internet was less than helpful in my search.

So basically what I'm asking is where are these sensors at exactly, and how can I replace them myself? I've been told its an easy job and would like to do it myself for the sake of saving money and learning for future reference. (I was tempted to run seafoam through and shoot for the theory that maybe the sensor is just dirty and I'd get lucky and clean it off, but eh, they're original with the engine [just rolled 164,000mi] I believe, so its about time they get replaced. Its murdering my mileage and although I enjoy the fact that suddenly my car seems to have slightly more power, its not for the best.

Plus I just changed my oil recently, would be a waste to ruin my oil so soon.

·
Registered
22 Posts
if its before the cats, itwould be one your header or exhaust manifold... very easy to change... 10 minutes top if your a handy person

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if its before the cats, itwould be one your header or exhaust manifold... very easy to change... 10 minutes top if your a handy person
As bad as this sounds.... I don't know where either of those are. The general idea I get is its somewhere near the bottom-rear of the engine, but I'll be damned if I know what either looks like or where exactly its at.

Can I get it even more dumbed down, please? I'll certainly look around, and I doubt they'll be hard to find but I just want to make sure I know which sensor is which (I'm going to be lazy and do just the bad sensor, money is kinda tight at the moment).

Is Sensor 1 on the driver's side or passenger's side of the engine?

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
Bank 1 is on the passenger's side. Jack the car up, and follow the exhaust up past your cats to the exhaust header. It should be right before where your headers connect to your exhaust system. It should be green and the rear O2 sensors are blue.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bank 1 is on the passenger's side. Jack the car up, and follow the exhaust up past your cats to the exhaust header. It should be right before where your headers connect to your exhaust system. It should be green and the rear O2 sensors are blue.
Alrighty, perfect. I'll get on that once it stops raining here.

Thank you both!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is the sensor under a manifold cover or anything, or are they literally right in the open? I'm considering buying some floor stands (jack and stands are a bit too expensive, and I don't do enough yet to justify getting them) and doing it now. I can't squeeze my fat head under the car to change it, and using a curb as a lift (suggested by my kid sister, I'm not keen on taking her advice) seems like it would be generally bad for my well-being. I don't hate myself that much.

Anyways, I was quoted 191 bucks to have the ONE sensor replaced.... or I can buy the sensor from a part store for a third of the quoted part price (144 bucks for a sensor?!) and figure out how to do it myself.

I just wanted to ask if its hidden away or if it'll be easy access once a means to lift the car has been acquired.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dangit, sorry for triple posting, its not letting me edit since I missed the timeframe to do so.

I have another question in addition to my post above this one. Apparently there are two different sizes of O2 sensor. I went to purchase one today and discovered, much to my chagrine, that I didn't know what size my sensor is.

Anybody know this off the top of their head? Its a 1997 V6 automatic, if any of that is pertinent information. I've never seen any reference to sensor size or been able to find anything related online.

Hoping to get an answer by tomorrow, which is the day I intend to set to work on this.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Size really shouldn't matter (no pun intended), you just need a decent person at the auto store to help you out.

Just a little advice, soak the heck out of the sensor before pulling it, as it's going to be frozen in there. There isn't a whole lot of room on the front sensors, so have a breaker bar handy to get it to start.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alrighty, I'll get on that then.

I just realized during my search that the P0141 refers to bank 1 sensor 2, but their system (Autozone, I'm too cheap at the moment to get my own diagnostics equipment since money is tight) shows sensor one, I'm almost sure of it.

That can't be right because googling P0141 shows nothing but Bank 1 Sensor 2 related issues, nothing at all about sensor 1. Am I crazy or is wierdness afoot?

Alternatively, would old spark plugs also assist in throwing this code? I'm fairly certain my fuel mileage is down since this light showed up, and I'm not entirely sure if the plugs were replaced, but another cause for the code was "Ignition Misfire (Repair)" which, to my uneducated mind, implies spark plugs, especially since -not knowing when they were replaced last, if ever, since this car's maintenance records weren't kept track of for the longest time- they could be old as sin.

Again, any truth to this or is it just crazy talk? I'm just trying to figure out what the possible causes are, since I've got a hundred bucks to spend all in all to solve this problem.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alrighty, I'll get on that then.

I just realized during my search that the P0141 refers to bank 1 sensor 2, but their system (Autozone, I'm too cheap at the moment to get my own diagnostics equipment since money is tight) shows sensor one, I'm almost sure of it.

That can't be right because googling P0141 shows nothing but Bank 1 Sensor 2 related issues, nothing at all about sensor 1. Am I crazy or is wierdness afoot?

Alternatively, would old spark plugs also assist in throwing this code? I'm fairly certain my fuel mileage is down since this light showed up, and I'm not entirely sure if the plugs were replaced, but another cause for the code was "Ignition Misfire (Repair)" which, to my uneducated mind, implies spark plugs, especially since -not knowing when they were replaced last, if ever, since this car's maintenance records weren't kept track of for the longest time- they could be old as sin.

Again, any truth to this or is it just crazy talk? I'm just trying to figure out what the possible causes are, since I've got a hundred bucks to spend all in all to solve this problem.
Sorry, couldn't edit. I'm away from home and apparently the code was NOT P0141, as I'd "remembered" but instead its P0171, which according to that diagnostic site in stickies is something potentially very different. I'm going to have it checked again but this is very, very odd. Would running seafoam through my gas tank (how much if its just for the gas tank? Any specific amount of gas? Perhaps STP Fuel Injector cleaner or something instead?) alleviate this problem if this is no longer a matter of my oxygen sensor?

Or maybe it was read to me wrong (I had a roomate read the printout to me) and it is a P0171 (System Too Lean) as a result of a P0141 (O2 sensor)

Bah... I wish I could figure this stuff out easily, but my ignorance overwhelms my ability to learn quickly... guess it'll take time. Sorry for hammering this further into the ground, just trying to figure stuff out so I don't go the wrong direction with this.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.