Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, once I work out all the mechanical kinks in my engine and steering, I intend to do a bit of modding. Won't be for a while though, no money to toss around on non-essentials (like I said, gotta work out those issues I've got with my car before dealing with performance and cosmetics)

My reasoning is in part because of that aptly named "itch" to mod our ponies. I tried my best to resist it, but its got me by the ears. The second part, and probably one of the largest factors in this is because my step-brother was born with a chip on his shoulder, and was given a '98 (I think thats the year) Dodge 1500 SS/T. He thinks his MOPAR V8 is hot ****, and constantly looks down upon my 3.8L V6 pony as a result. I intend to make him eat his words and show that even though she's a V6, she can still hold 'er own. We're always trying to one up eachother, so this is pretty typical between the two of us. Naturally, I win regularly, since most of the things tend to be technical fields which, being the autistic jerk that I am, I excel at in comparison to him. I want this to be no different. Both for my victory and for the sake of just plain improving my car for my own satisfaction.

From what I understand, I want up to, but no larger than 2.5" pipes, but beyond that, I'm lost. FAQ's and explanations seem to live merely to confuse me further. Now, what I'm shooting for is the deeper, non-ricy sounding rumble. I'll be hard pressed to match a V8, but hey I can try, right?

I've watched a lot of videos and it seems like most all of them are of the 1999's and up from when Ford revamped the engines in the 3.8L's, therefore I can't really make a true judgement of how certain models would sound on my car. H-pipes seem to be what people tout as sounding the "best" in terms of v8, non-import sound. I'm not even necessarily shooting for loud so much as imposing, if that makes any sense. Basically, what combination of exhaust and muffler do you think produces the best sound for a 1997 3.8L V6? I know, its purely opinion, but thats why I ask, I respect the opinions and knowledge of everyone in this community. I've listened to the Flowmaster 40's and those sound decent, but all the videos that were of the same engine type ended up not listing their exhaust setup, only the mufflers used. They were duals, so I figure they probaby had aftermarket exhaust systems but couldn't be bothered to list them.

A side question: for a full exhaust replacement, would ramps suffice or will I have to suck it up and buy a jack and some jack stands? I've been trying my damndest to avoid it (at the expense of being unable to try my hand at replacing my own lower balljoints [rubber boots are shot] and tierod ends [although for the tierods I'd still have to get it aligned anyways...].

I know, this is a loaded, and a little bit of a confusing question (I myself have a hard time figuring it all out, but since most of this stuff is ignorantly used words [and my being very tired], I'm sure you'll be able to get more out of it than myself.) and I apologize, I'm notorious for saying more when less will do just fine.

Thanks guys, appreciate the time you've wasted trying to decipher my ridiculous posts all these times!

P.S: shiner, if you're reading this, that check engine light hasn't been back on for a while now after I reset my battery after cleaning my MAF, I think it may have been something innocuous (air filter was the wrong size, and I don't think I put it back in properly when I checked it prior to replacing it, and I cleaned my MAF too while I was at it). Never found any vacuum leaks from what I could tell. I did notice that a wierd plug looking thingy attached to a metal tube running from under the intake was quite easily lifted out of its socket in the passenger side, top-rear of the engine. Apparently its supposed to do that and its a PCV valve. I'm still leery.

Also, tranny fluid change did the trick, still shifts a bit hard, but given the age and mileage on the tranny, I'm not terribly concerned. It doesn't slip when shifting out of reverse anymore, which is a huge difference over the 2-3 seconds it was taking before. Thanks for all of your guidance on those matters, with a bit of luck, that CEL won't be coming back!

·
Super Moderator
40,152 Posts
for a 3.8 i suggest an h-pipe in 2.5 inch....for not too loud mufflers there are Flowmaster 60,Dynomax Superturbo,etc..the large dual setup will loose a shade of low end power but will pay off in mid and upper range.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alrighty, I'll check into those. Any specific brand/type of h-pipe or does brand necessarily matter? Type being like cat-back, midpipe, etc. This is largely where I'm getting hung up on what the difference is between each type.

Also, I've noticed that mufflers too have their own pipe sizes. Does this make a difference (will they fit if they're, say, 2" or will I need a 2.5" if I have a 2.5" system (I remember reading something about universally fitting which is why I ask)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.