Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 97 cobra has 51k on her and its having lots of problems. When its a cold start i have trouble getting into first gear or reverse and it pops out/grinds. But im sure thats just the synchros. But my major issue which started not too long ago. When i take off and get going in any gear it sputters and lacks power until about 4000rpm then finally kicks in. Sounds like its not getting fuel almost but i really fear its the transmission :( Ontop of that a knock has formed in a valve i believe right below the throttle body area. So on idle and then when on the throttle its an obnoxious knocking sound coming from that area. But my main concern is the hesitation. I have an appt to see a transmission guy on tuesday but any pointers are always welcome. Im a noob when it comes to the engine but im trying to learn.

Thanks

Tbird

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
imrc plates are stuck most likely, theres your lack in power. any check engine lights?

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
shifting issues, yeah, synchros or clutch problems
Sputtering, hesitation? could be as simple as cleaning the mass air meter, or new plugs and wires, basically just needs a full tune up to start...the knocking sound? Who knows, too generic, a video of it would be ideal

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
I always forget about those plates...I haven't had them for so long

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i was thinking plugs and wires too. And funny the hesistation/sputtering started a few days after i cleaned the air filter. I will also look into the IMRC plates when it gets checked out.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
806 Posts
i was thinking plugs and wires too. And funny the hesistation/sputtering started a few days after i cleaned the air filter. I will also look into the IMRC plates when it gets checked out.:bigthumbsup
The imrc plates would not could the hesitation under 4k rpms. the IMRCplates open up at 3250 rpms and if they were stuck closed the car would feel normal under this rpm and would feel sluggish. even with them stuck open it wouldnt really feel sluggish, it would feel pretty close to normal. maybe a little lose in torque but not muh of a difference.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts