Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1997 Mustang Cobra SVT will not start.
When you turn the key nothing happens. No sounds from the starter. No clicks or clacks.

The battery is good. 12.49 V
The fuses are good in the fuse box under the dash.
The fuses are good in the Power Dustribution Box (PDB) under the hood.

This happened all of a sudden. I had just come out of the grocery store and it would not start. I tried a jump at even though the voltage looked good .... no start. Brought the battery home (with the help of a friend), charged it, and took it back around 1015PM. put it in, checked the fuses, tried to start it, and nothing.

There is a starter relay in the PDB. I don't know if it is good or not. I'll check Auto Zone to see how much they cost and how to check it.

There is a switch that is depressed when the clutch is out and released when the clutch is pushed all the way in. It is not making any clicking sounds when I manually press it and let it out. I don't know if it's supposed to make any sounds or not. Does anybody know?

All suggestions welcome. The car is in a public parking lot and needs to be moved.
Thanks.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Do the dash lights and other warning chimes work as usual?

When the key is turned to the "run" position (do not crank), does the theft light go out after 2-3 second "prove out"? Does the theft light stay off during cranking?

An option to start the car is to set the parking brake. Make DOUBLE sure the car is in neutral. Use a short piece of wire to jump from the main battery terminal on the starter to the smaller solenoid terminal. This should force the starter to engage.

If nothing happens, the starter is bad.

Or get a couple of buddys to help push and "bump" start the car.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.