Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'll start by saying that this is my first car, given to me by my mother from which she bought from her ex-boyfriend, who bought it on auction from a repo, or so I was told.

So basically what I know of this car is at one point or another, it was a repo, its been rearended once while my mother was driving, the speed at which it happened is constantly debated, but it clearly wasn't very fast as the only damage I know of was permanent scuffs on the bumper cover. I might add that I'm not very knowledgeable in auto repair.

So here's what we've got:

1) Driver's side door panel is messed up (its a bit loose, and won't sit flush against the window like it should) because of a bad power window fix, as well as the fact that it might've been as a result of the repo

2) The alarm is very touchy, but only goes off when you open the passenger side door before putting the key in the ignition, this is a result of that repossession, so I've been told. This isn't such a big deal since I don't usually have passengers anyways.

3) The paint, its bad. Scratches, scuffs and chips all over, and since its black, as you can imagine this stands out quite well... much to my chagrine. Oh, and some kids egged it and it oxidized and stripped some smaller areas on the car.

4) Oh, did I mention the fact that the passenger side kick-panel speaker is blown?

5) New brakes, ceramic all the way around, however the car shudders when I brake, probably because the rotors are shot, they weren't replaced.

6) Brake light seems to disconnect at a whim. Mechanic says its a solenoid issue, he's a family friend, and we pulled a favor to have him work on the car a bit (brakes, that light issue, etc). He has the part, just needs to be installed.

7) Oh, lets not forget that its a 1997 with 163928 miles on the original engine. I believe the master cylinder has been replaced once.

8) My mother was terrible about keeping the car up to date on fluids, so no doubt the engine has been having a field day.

9) Speaking of the engine, seems as of recent (supposedly it does this "sometimes" whatever that means.), the engine will randomly shudder, hunting for its idle RPM when I start for the car before it finally settles down and idles smoothly.

10) Transmission slips sometimes when shifting from reverse to drive, probably needs new transmission fluid.

11) When I turn or go over a bump, the front wheels screech. Definitely not the power steering, but its something mechanical nonetheless. I've not a clue about what it could be, although its been suggested that perhaps the bushings need to be replaced or CV joints or something or other. I don't even know. All I know is its incredibly irritating.

With all of its little flaws aside, I love this car to death, I always have since the day I first drove it two years ago. It almost makes me teary-eyed to consider selling it, but a family situation has forced me to move out on my own, and money is tight since I'm not working, living off savings that I'd thoughtfully held on to from my previous job.

That being said, I'm not sure I can afford to, much less justify putting the amount of money this car needs to be turned back into the beauty it truly is. Its seen a lot of use, been driven hard and its kept on trucking. I can't be sure it'll last much longer before the engine needs to be rebuilt, and between that, replacing the sound system, getting the paint redone and figuring out what the hell that god-awful sound is when I turn, I'm not sure the car is even worth that much. Maybe I'm just being paranoid about the whole situation and things aren't as bad as I'm making them out to be in terms of how they affect the overall survival of the vehicle's ability to drive safely without major fault?

So for those of you who have actually read all the way down this far, what do you think? I'm waiting on my return, all in all, it should be around $1,000 which, if I keep getting regular assignments with my temp agency, would make a nice down payment on financing for a newer, used Mustang, or even another car if I have to (although I'd REALLY prefer not to.) Should I just cut my losses, drive this 'stang until I can get financed and find a newer one, then figure out how I'm ever going to sell this poor car? Its not as ugly as I make it out to be, but nobody is going to pay much for it with all of its little issues as it stands.

I'm just not sure what to do, but when I left the SSA office today about some paperwork, the engine did its shuddering thing (the first time I'd ever noticed) and quite frankly, I was mortified of things to come. Maybe its just being quirky and I've nothing to worry about, but I love this car to death, I don't want it to fall apart on me and these "quirks" are starting to concern me.

What should I do? Anybody willing to dish out advice here? How much would a decent repaint (same color, I'd keep it black) and an engine rebuild cost? Moreover, how much can I realistically expect from this car with all of this taken into account? Would it be worth it to pursue some reclamation effort on her and keep her around or do so just to sell, or even not at all?

·
Super Moderator
40,151 Posts
if you really like the car,fix it up....just tackle one issue at a time...you do not have cv joints......use the tax money for the major repairs,rotors,trans,etc....do cosmetics last....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.