Ford Mustang Forum banner

1998 cobra engine swap issues. Help with PATS

6K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  metalman302 
#1 ·
ok so i was helping a friend do the swap about this time last year. since then he has been killed in a motorcycle accident :sadcry . anyway his wife has decided to sell me the car. she is having trouble finding the title but im sure i can file for a lost one. now onto the PATS issue. we as I said were working on it last year and im having a little trouble remembering what all problems we had. first the fuel pump wouldnt kick on so we ran a live wire to it. then we had to jump the starter relay to get it to turn over. then it actually started to my suprise but only on 4 cylinders and they were WAY advanced. if i remember right the scanner said it was by about 30-40* im trying to find a way to get around pats. i have read an artical about some people using sct tuners to flash the ecm and delete pats completely. im also wondering if i could obtain an older lincoln mark VIII computer that was pre-PATS and use that. Does anyone know how exactly pats works? does just the key and the transponder ring have to match up or does the key, transponder ring and computer have to match? any help is appreciated very much

#3 ·
I know a little about PATS as it applies to the 99-04 models (admittedly only enough to get myself in trouble and raise more questions though), and less about pre-1999.

To attempt an answer though, yes it can be turned off with a tuner but it is not an end-user adjustable feature and thus would require a custom tune be loaded to the device. Or dealer can also do it.

Edit: Just noticed your mention of model year and PATS n/a to it, so nevermind that last bit.

At this point, I would question the compatability of the EEC-IV (OBD-1) pcm with that engine, which was originally managed by an EEC-V (OBD-2) pcm. Sorry to raise more questions than answers, but in your situation I would verify compatability or lack of at this point. May also need a pcm swap before you can continue with the project.

#4 ·
thanks for the reply.. well the wiring harness has been changed as well. so it has the cobra ecm. i dont remember if we changed the entire wiring harness (obd port included) or not but i do remember the code scanner that we had plugged into it didn't say error or anything of the sort. so maybe we did i just cant remember its been over a year. but a friend of mine has another 96 cobra. im thinking the ecm connector had pins moved or else i would plug my ecm into his, flash pats off then reconnect it to mine. I was doing some researh and a company called "advanced engineering west made a module that just plugged into the ecm (when they were doing cobra swaps into fox bodys) to override pats.

check it out it even has a pic
Mustang Engine Swap - Installing a Ford 4.6-liter dual-overhead-cam modular engine

I tried contacting the company and they no longer exist :(

#5 ·
everything we swapped. engine, trans, brakes, rearend, fuel system ( cobra was a no return.) wiring harness (he did most of that) i just did the engine harness. ecm and it wouldnt start. jumpped the fuel relay and starter relay. then it started on 4 cylinders was way too advanced and would only rev to like 3000 rpm and sounded maxed out. I THINK it was out of a 98 cobra could be 97 or 96. we had like 3 ecms we tried on it. if i could find them i would tell you which ones. but with everything being about 80 miles away it makes it a little hard :(

#6 ·
if the cobra is a no return system then it is a 99-01 cobra or 03-04 mach-1. all 96-98 cobras are return. if a 99+ motor you need to add the return less fuel tank and all the other parts that are near the tank , you should put in all the car wires from the same year stang as the motor. if you are putting a returnless motor in a 95 car , you must know what you need to change to do it , everything

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.