Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I attempted to ask this question earlier by attaching it to a much older, but related thread - but I think doing so just ended up in it getting buried, so please forgive the repost. Plus, it was in the section for the 4.6L but this is a 3.8L V6.

I need a new filler tube grommet for a 1998 Mustang, but am confused by a single comment I read elsewhere when a person wrote to someone in a similar situation "be sure to get the CA-ems or Non-CA-ems one, whichever you need" to a person with an idential question, just a different model year.

Are there two different parts, depending on whether the car was originally sold in CA (mine was, and has all original OEM parts)??? I've located a part I intended to purchase,
Ford Mustang fuel filler neck grommet 1998 model only ,
but the hole does indeed look a bit smaller than the current filler tube. Of course, it's supposed to be a snug fit, so maybe that hole actually flexes when the tube is inserted? I cannot tell from the photo how rigid it is. I have not been able to check the original, apart from seeing the obvious tears, as I didn't really want to disassemble anything until the new part arrives.

I also read something about CA having two seals??? Is there another seal further internal to tank that is not visible from the outside? This would indeed make the job a lot tougher, as I do not plan to drop the tank but rather follow some other instructions for replacing the grommet. I question whether there really is an additional seal in CA, though, because the person who wrote that might have been thinking about something else, or the fuel pump.

Thank you.

·
Registered
194 Posts
The only thing a CA emissions car has extra on the fill neck is a hose for the EVAP system. There will be one grommet where the fuel fill pipe enters the tank. Once everything is loose, push the fill neck into the tank a little, that way it can be rotated to clear the fender.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.