Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A simple question with a difficult answer.

1998 mustang gt. all stock. starts fine runs fine until i have sat in a little traffic. volt gauge drops, lights fade, ac blows hard then soft and not cold, no response from gas pedal, no brakes, no steering.

took it to local dealership,diagnosed it told to replace fuel pump, filter and grommet on filler neck. went to pick it up wouldnt start. did the service mentioned above, hasnt died yet but gauge still drops from the m in normal to between the bracket and the n in the gauge. service guy said this was normal. i dont think so. i think my dealer kinda hosed me. but i need other suggestions.

battery is brand new, alternator tested fine. charging system tested fine.

what else could it be?

thanks for any help i get.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
need a little more information. Did it throw any codes?

I have 117,xxx miles on the original alternator and have never seen it go up or down like you mentioned with the car idling.

Either there is an intermintent short or high current draw or the alternator's internal regulator is getting ready to fail. It could also be an electronic issue, but it is hard to diagnose without seing the car.

Have you checked the voltage across the battery when it does this?

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
:bigthumbsup I think you are barking up the right tree, grn 00 gt.

That alternator has been implicated in this sort of behavior on these cars when it starts to fail. It will still pass a simple load test, but its not healthy even so. If you got sensor DTCs, especially crank or cam sensor codes, it would fit the "alternator is dying" scenario.

Its quite possible you also needed the fuel filter/pump, though, particularly if it solved the other issues.

need a little more information. Did it throw any codes?

I have 117,xxx miles on the original alternator and have never seen it go up or down like you mentioned with the car idling.

Either there is an intermintent short or high current draw or the alternator's internal regulator is getting ready to fail. It could also be an electronic issue, but it is hard to diagnose without seing the car.

Have you checked the voltage across the battery when it does this?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
My money is on the Alt. Mine was brand new, and started getting dull in town. Then started getting really dull in town. Then, started getting WAY chargey (my new word, use it as you wish) down the HWY. Voltage regulator went out of it. Brand new.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.