Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 98 mustang has been having problems starting. I would drive somewhere and shut the car off for a few minutes while i ran in somewhere and then when i came back out the car would take forever to start because it would just keep cranking. recently my car has just been sitting in the garage and it would just crank but would not turnover. I replaced the fuel filter and the spark plugs but it still wouldnt start. Last night i went out and just added some gas to the tank and threw in a bottle of heet and it started, but then when i started to back down the driveway it died ans would not restart. Now the car wont even crank and it just faintly clicks and makes a buzzing noise, the theft light will blink, but if i unhook the battery and reconnect it the light will go off. I really dont know what it is. I need help. any ideas?

·
Banned
9,216 Posts
have the battery tested.

but check those plug wires, if they are old, replace them

·
Registered
613 Posts
My 98 mustang has been having problems starting. I would drive somewhere and shut the car off for a few minutes while i ran in somewhere and then when i came back out the car would take forever to start because it would just keep cranking. recently my car has just been sitting in the garage and it would just crank but would not turnover. I replaced the fuel filter and the spark plugs but it still wouldnt start. Last night i went out and just added some gas to the tank and threw in a bottle of heet and it started, but then when i started to back down the driveway it died ans would not restart. Now the car wont even crank and it just faintly clicks and makes a buzzing noise, the theft light will blink, but if i unhook the battery and reconnect it the light will go off. I really dont know what it is. I need help. any ideas?
Sounds like your battery is going bad.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
battery or altinator..

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Test the battery and alternator, one or both has a problem, but first check your connections, make sure they are clean and tight at the battery terminals and grounds, and check the alternator connection.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
stang still wont start

ok so i tightened up the battery cables and that got rid of the flashing lights and theft light, but the car is still just cranking but will not turnover. anyone know what this might be?

·
Registered
613 Posts
ok so i tightened up the battery cables and that got rid of the flashing lights and theft light, but the car is still just cranking but will not turnover. anyone know what this might be?
Did you have your battery tested like we said?

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
If the battery is good and the starter is kicking over, then it could be fuel or spark issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well ive replaced the fuel filter and put in all new spark plugs and ive tested the coil pack and its good. i can here the fuel pump when i turn the key, but is there any chance its still not pressurizing right?

·
Registered
3 Posts
It is possible your fuel pump is good and the one way check valve in the goose neck where you fill your car with fuel that leads to the gas tank is bad as this will not allow enough pressure for fuel to be pumped to the engine. If it is bad then you may as well replace the fuel pump also as the tank needs removed to replace it anyway, and aftermarket fuel pumps are not recommended for fords as they seem to have problems. I recently had a quote of $550 to replace the fuel pump on my same mustang using a factory pump. If you can get it running long enough to get a diagnostic check done though, that would be best.

·
Registered
3 Posts
well ive replaced the fuel filter and put in all new spark plugs and ive tested the coil pack and its good. i can here the fuel pump when i turn the key, but is there any chance its still not pressurizing right?
It may not if the one way check valve in the goose neck part of the filler tank isn't working properly. You should here some pressure release when you take off your gas cap. Some people are lucky enough to find out that believe it or not there gas cap seal is worn out. But chances are the one way check valve is worn out.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
all good advice, but shouldnt this be moved to a v6 msutang section of the forums, where ppl who may have had this similar problem with the same v6 car might know something us v8 guys dont??

:worship:->>>moderators :bigthumbsup

·
Banned
3,705 Posts
It is possible your fuel pump is good and the one way check valve in the goose neck where you fill your car with fuel that leads to the gas tank is bad as this will not allow enough pressure for fuel to be pumped to the engine. If it is bad then you may as well replace the fuel pump also as the tank needs removed to replace it anyway, and aftermarket fuel pumps are not recommended for fords as they seem to have problems. I recently had a quote of $550 to replace the fuel pump on my same mustang using a factory pump. If you can get it running long enough to get a diagnostic check done though, that would be best.
What are you talking about?

The check valve is to keep fuel from spilling out of the tank in the event of a rollover accident/ shutting off fuel pumps at gas stations/ prevent thieves from siphoning the tank. I've never heard of one going bad. I've heard of people breaking them when they replace the fuel filler neck grommet. Which is a common problem.

There are about a billion people who run aftermarket fuel pumps in Fords. Myself included. Without problems.

Why would you suggest replacing a fuel pump if it's not bad if he's gonna drop the tank to fix the supposedly bad check valve. That doesn't make any sense.

Replacing a fuel pump is pretty simple. There's no way in hell I'd pay anyone $550 bucks to do it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.