Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i was wondering, why are the 98 mustang cat back exhausts a different part number than the 96-97 mustangs with the same motor and tranny??? and also this isnt the same subject, but the T45 is what was used in 1998 too right? mechanical speedo gear?? and has anyone ever put a 5.4 in their 1998 stang? if so, did the exhaust change and will a 1998 x or h pipe fit on the 5.4?? have means of fabrication just not tryin to change too much unless i have to... i believe ford did it right from the factory but i have a 98 mustang with the v6/auto that im gutting just for the shell cuz i love that body style and i wanna put a 5.4L/T45 in it and just trying to research all components that may or may not fit nicely if anyone just knew off hand... thanks:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
547 Posts
not sure about the cat-backs, but yes people have put 5.4's in mustangs. the exhaust from the mid pipe back should be the same, but the 5.4 has a higher deck than the 4.6, so you might need longer headers. if ur car is a v6, you will need a new k-member and wiring harness, but im sure you already know this.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
from what parts magazines say the tailpipes are the part thats different and i cant imagine why and yes i do know i need a new wiring harness gonna find something with the 5.4L that was wreckin in the junkyard for that kinda stuff...

·
Registered
111 Posts
the difference is in the tailpipe hanger back by the bumper. from 94-97 the hanger is perpendicular to the tailpipe and goes into the rubber isolator mounted along the framerail about 6 inches back from the tailpipe end. in 98 they started to use the 99+ design which has the tailpipe hanger running parallel to the tailpipe and sliding into the hanger mounted at the back bumper reinforcement... it is a very small change, and the piping is still the same. with a minor amount of modification you can use the 94-97 cat-back on a 98.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.