Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I currently own a 1998 mustang v6 and I am having some troubles with the alarm system. When I lock the car the anti theft light turns on to a steady red and sometimes it randomly goes off. When I don't lock the car or lock it manually with my key the light still blinks red. I am guessing the alarm only goes off when the light is a steady red but don't have proof.
I have tried to deactivate the system by reading the owners manual and trying some things it lists (using the remote key to try and deactivate). I also read in another forum that you can take out a piece in the fuse box (fuse 16) to deactivate the system. I took out fuse 16 but the light still blinks. I just took out the fuse today (Jan 7) so I am not sure if the system is still active or not.

Any ideas on what else I can do if I already haven't disabled the system? Any help is much appreciated!

Parker

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
When you open the driver's door, does the dome light come on?

If you leave the key in the ignition and open the door, does the key minder alert sound?

If not, likely there's an issue with the door ajar switch. Can you see how a problem here would make the alarm "think" that the door is open?

Does the alarm quit if the driver's door is unlocked with the key? If not, then there's a problem with the switch that lets the alarm know when the door lock is turned.

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Not sure if the 98 alarm has a valet mode but if you press the red blinking button and can get it to blink twice in a rhythmic( 1 second or so )cycle,I believe it is in the valet mode which disables the alarm system.You could replace fuse # 16 and try this to see if it works.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wmburns: The light is always on (blinking at a steady rate unless I lock with the remote). When the key is left in the ignition w/ the door open the minder alert does sound.

hockeyman48: yes the 98 has valet mode. I tried pressing it to see what would happen but the light still blinks at a steady rate (every second) as it usually does

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
wmburns: The light is always on (blinking at a steady rate unless I lock with the remote). When the key is left in the ignition w/ the door open the minder alert does sound.
Note, the theft is supposed to slow blink all of the time. It's a reminder that the PATS system is active.

You didn't answer the question about if unlocking the driver's door with the key shuts off the alarm.

You didn't answer the question about the dome lights.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I put fuse 16 back in to test the valet mode: still nothing.

When I unlock the door the dome light does turn on. The alarm only turns off when I hit the unlock button on the remote key

1 - 8 of 8 Posts