Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys i have an issue. I just replaced my spark plugs on my 98. I noticed that on two of the spark plugs there was oil, yes oil bad news. There was not that much, looked like it would be a small leak. My question would be how long do you guys think i would have left before i needed to over haul my lower end with forged rods and piston and better bearings.:bigthumbsup I realize im on borrowed time. How much life is left in the car do you guys think? Any input is appreciated. Thanks guys.

·
Banned
9,214 Posts
well dont get coolant on that crank. and drive her easy and maybe a few hundred miles?

better safe than sorry and get it when you have money and time
or when it blows. witch ever comes first.

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
I'd just replace the motor with a 2003 terminator setup, that way you could have all the wish list parts in one great package

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that would be nice to have a terminator setup dont get me wrong but i have seen how much they cost for a swap. little outa my range. Plus atleast every where i look every one has a terminator. I want something that can hang with em and or beat em one day. Something not alot of people have. Plus i enjoy working on my car and want to do and learn more. So rebuilding my self will be fun.

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
Well you may want to build it yourself, but be honest and add up how much the parts and machining will cost and compare it to the swap...then compare what you are getting in the hp arena...you may be surprised how expensive a rebuild can be relative to the outcome...everyone doesn't have a terminator, I spent $7500 to put a Kenne Bell on my 1996 cobra with less than great gains..if I had that to do again, I would have bought a 5.4 Shelby engine, I've seen them going for under 10K on Ebay...so that's why I'm going big on my Saleen, 408 stroker baby! No regrets this time around

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
what part of the plug was the oil on? electrode area or the threads? If it's on the threads oil could be leaking through the valve cover gasket onto the plugs!

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
Hey Brutal, if you ever see a red 96 cobrawith Mach 1 rims and sparco seats going by, flash me, we'll have to chat sometime...I'm in Clearwater, but am in Tampa alot

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Hey bro I actually own a house in Largo, I'm on the Pinellas side of the bridge too, do you ever cruise anywhere on the weekends? It's been YEARS since I went out to Gandy,Courtney or Frontage Road! Just got a V1 Head unit the other day :bigthumbsup
time to get this sled moving, haha!

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
I'd say a little oil is seeping through the valve cover, I wouldn't worry too much about it unless it gets worse! On the threads that's BETTER news!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks guys since i had to have the valve covers off to replace my timing chains and tensionners i got all new gaskets including the circle ones that go around the vavle cover openings for the spark plug access. Not sure the correct term on those but once she is running agian ill let you all know how it works. thanks guys.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.