Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i had a very slight knocking in my engine, i changed the oil and it went away. about 700 miles later my engine was about a quart low on oil and the knocking came back. the car was sitting for about three years before i bought it. what could this noise be and why does it go away and then come back? also is it normal for my car to be using this much oil? and i feel alot of heat coming from the slit where the e brake is out of the center console. is this normal?

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
Sat for 3 years? could be the rings, If the car was never started up for 3 years, oil might be slipping past them. Seems like the knock only happens when your a quart low right?

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
yes, the brake lever slit throws heat ,esp if it's cracked/broken...the knock is never a good sign, it you are lucky it could be the water pump, however, it is more than likely a wristpin knocking which dictates a motor rebuild...at 150K+ miles, my Cobra uses very little oil...maybe 0.5-1 qt between changes, which is considered normal...btw I always have run Mobil 1 full synthetic in my cobra...good life insurance for a complex motor.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well when i first heard the knock she was full of oil. now it came back and was a quart low. i added and ran it for a while and its still there. i dont get how people can run the heck out of their high mileage 96-98 cobra and not have any problems. and im over here with a 95k very well cared for motor knock.:scratchchin

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.