Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to get a new set of chains, tenioners, and tensioner arms. I went to ford to get possible OEM parts. They wanted 900 for everything. Is it smart to replace all of it, to include sprockets, etc.? Where can i find good solid parts and what should i be looking for when i purchase new timing equipment? Any sites to order from for individual parts would be helpful and all other input as well. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
190 Posts
i personally won't by any other than ford originals parts.check with another ford dealer or the web.on the item your looking for,that is what i mean,you know.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Go on the marketplace of SVTperformance and post a thread asking for these items and you'll get a response within a couple hours!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for your input i was leaning twoards the OEM parts as well. i just need to get the timing cover off which will happen today and see exactly what parts i need to make this happen.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
thanks for your input i was leaning twoards the OEM parts as well. i just need to get the timing cover off which will happen today and see exactly what parts i need to make this happen.
Why do you think you need new chains and tensioners? What are the cars symptoms?
When my Forged Motor was built at 60K I had no hesitation reusing the stock chains, maybe if they had 125,000K+ on them I would have replaced!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i just got the timing cover of yesterday and see where one of the tensioners (pasenger side) is very loose. i just ordered new tensioners and chain guides, as well as the chain guides for the secondary chains today at ford. this will lead me to my next question. when pulling the timing chain off replacing all the old parts and putting the new ones on how about do i know the car will be in time and good to go when i start the car up? what is the procudure like? does everything need to stay the exact same? thanks for your help. parts will be in on tuesday so hopefully they will be in by the end of next week. the acouple other add ons :bigthumbsup and the car will be running agian hopefully right.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Been there done that. It's pretty intimidating digging into the OHC modular ford's. I'd rather wrench on a pushrod 5.0 anyday before touching a Modular ford, but once you do it, it's actually easier than some may think. Snap-On sells a cam retension tool that hold's the cam's in place while you remove the chain's. Used that before with a buddy, but the tool is pricey, so I dont have one of my own. A backyard trick that I use now is to align the the harmonic balancer notch at top dead center (TDC) on the timing cover before you remove it. Once it's off I use white out and mark 10'O clock(cam) to 6'O clock (crank) on the left bank cam sprocket and chains, and 3'O clock (cam) to 6'O clock on the right bank crank cam spocket and chains. With those mark's for youre reference, just make sure to keep the left/right chains seperated, all you have to do is connect the dot's litterally ! Same goes w/ the secondary chains an sprocket's, just align youre whiteout marks on the chain links, to your sprocket's and you'll B ok. Or just buy the cam retainer tool and have it for good, either way is full proof.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
+1 with the cam tool and marking the chains and sprokets for reference points. Do keep them serperated or mark the left with white and the right with green or whatever like that.

+1 on modulars vs pushrods. Pushrods are easy but the modulars after awhile get easy too.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks guys i got it all together i actually bought a tool set from OTC. It worked great i am pretty sure i got it on the money i made my marks held the cams and crank followed my 98 mustang ford manual and hoping for the best. i am waiting on my headers to come in ( by the way from mac it is taking forever and im getting irritated) once those are in i will install them and fired the car up hopefully no more rattling. but thanks for the support ill let you guys know how she runs. hopefully lean and mean agian :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yeah, I had bought a Mark VIII motor dirt cheap because the guy thought it had a thrown rod. Sunded just like it on startup (chain slap), but purred like a kitten after it fired up. Turned out to be a bad tensioner unable to hold the oil. Good point on marking both banks w.different color's, if I would have dropped both set's on the floor I would have been :headscratch: LOL.... Good to see you get it together, that OTC tool's a good piece +

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
for sure dude it was a very easy install for how much ford wanted for it. i posted another thread in the svt talk stating how i fired her up yesterday no more slapping of the chains :bigthumbsup im so excited to get her back on the road! thanks for the support guys

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.