Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP!!!
My two front tires had popped.So I crashed onto a parked car and hit the curb,

I hit it so hard my passenger side rim got dented, my front passenger fender got dented from the other car, my front bumper got bent about an inch or two down, my inner tie rod is bent however my outer tie rod is alright, all suspension seems good but the stabilizer link looks like its sideways(the part isnt bent), its just not sitting up and down, its sideways with the bottom pointing toward the rear.

The problem is my 17" rim wont fit on there, looks like it got knocked back about 4-5 inches(meaning the tire is hitting the fender about 2in on it). I will post pictures up tommorow.

I loosened the K Memeber already and pulled it forward the most I could, I also tied the lower control arm to a double knotted tied rope to a tree and yanked her back, didnt do nothing, im thinkin bout trying a chain? I have the spare tire on there, that fits and drives fine, and of course the alignment is off.

Can anyone help? :worship

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
some reason you can't call a tow truck? Get a flatbed to take it somewhere for repairs

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its at my house, I want to fix it myself since time is all I have on my hands, I just can't figure out what it is. Lower control arm bent?I cant tell, or maybe my Kmember, or the body? I measured everything, it seemed fine, but im gonna double check.

Oh I already got the fender and its driveable.

·
Registered
8,704 Posts
Without being there myself to see the damage and figure out what's f'd up and what's not, the best advice I can give is to compare the passenger side (bad) to the driver side (good) and note the differences between parts on either side. Sounds like you bent the sh!t out of the A-arm, but there could also be some damage to the K member if that A-arm got pushed back far enough. My crystal ball shows me that you'll be taking a trip to the junkyard in the not too distant future. Find a car without front end damage and start pulling crap off of it.

·
Banned
949 Posts
my crystal ball shows him giving up and throwing tools and using sailor language. :gringreen

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hahahaha crystal ball, and yes I will be throwing tools :kooky:
here are the pictures,

·
Registered
408 Posts
jeffy333:

The steering rack is bent and, from the first photo, you can see that the lower control arm is bent. I can't tell if the k-member is bent but it might be (since the A part of the control arm is pushed rearward).

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. After you finish your work, you may want to have a bodyshop put it on their jig to check that the unibody is not tweaked a little.

GL!

Chris

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks dude. Im gonna replace that lower control arm. And my inner tie rod is bent, I just gonna straighten it out with a hammer. But I'll let u guys know what happens.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
A rack shouldn't be but a 100 bucks or so after core return, if I recall correctly so don't skimp on that dude.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'd say K-Member, Control arm, Rack, Strut and gotta check the strut tower. Geees get a new inner tie rod if its bent its also bad and lose.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Suspension damage is not always visible. I would change the outer tie rod as well. If it hit that hard to do this damage to the K-Member and the control arm, the outer most likely is bent too. Now if one side it bent there is a strong possibility that the other side is bent, strut, inner/outer tie rods and so on. Do yourself a favor and take the car to a frame shop.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do the frame shops check it for free? Money is an issue right now, you guys know of any aftermarket (not coil over just regular)control arms? I am gonna put an AJE K member. But first I wanna get some regular control arms(not coil over). And All I gotta do for the rack is the inner tie rod, its not even loose, and the other side is fine, the strut towers are new so I wont need those, they didnt bend either. I just need the lower control arm, maybe a K-Member and definately that inner tie rod(might as well do the outers), I will end up replacing the other sides same parts too so it ends up even. I just cant find a lower front control arm! And if its gonna be OEM, I am only gonna choose motorcraft.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the advice guys. AHHHH! look at the mess I got into...

·
Registered
408 Posts
jeffy333:

I don't think a shop will check your car for free but they won't charge an arm and a leg. If you don't like the over-the-phone price (or, at-the-counter price) then skip it and put in the new parts with the understanding that 'something' may not be quite right. You'll find out when the alignment is done.

A good option for lower control arms is the 03-04 Cobra arms. They produce better geometry and the price is right. The problem is finding them. Get 'em if you can.

Chris

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok so I found 3 websites that got em, I am gonna go with Moog inner and outer tie rods. And a K-Member that will work best with those control arms? This is expensive but what you guys think?

90$ For all four tie rods.
400$ For the control arms.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
For around $300 more you could have a UPR Products k member kit. Includes k member, a arms, coil over kit. I got a complete write up on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Let me get that write up, looks like EVERYONE is sold out of the a arms. In going with the kit. Just wanted to know if all I will need is the full kit. Do I need anything else?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Do you have to take off the whole strut assembly? Because I dont have power tools.

·
Registered
408 Posts
jeffv333:

Pardon the late reply but I've been out of town for a week with no access to the interwebs (yes, terrible!).

You won't need power tools or air tools. They make the job go quicker but they are not essential. Get a can of PB Blaster (penetrating oil) because some fasteners will be corroded and difficult to remove. Use the proper tool (size and function) for the job, lol. That's Rule No. 1.

Please post an update on progress.

Thanks.

Chris

1 - 20 of 26 Posts