Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been debating this with myself for a long time, ever since I got the car 5 years ago.. Just trying to figure out all the pros and cons.. I have read in a few different places that if I go with the 351w, I'll need to upgrade the whole front end (K-member, etc). There is a 302 and 351w locally for $350 each.. What all would I need to get this rolling?

Thanks.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
6,282 Posts
Why would you swap a modern 4.6 liter OHC engine with a small block motor that has its roots in early 1960's technology?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wanting to get my car up to 400-500rwhp.. I don't think this block can handle 400rwph safely, even with forged internals. :?: I'm not the best mechanic but I'm pretty handy with just about everything on my car..

·
Registered
6,282 Posts
I'm not a huge HP guy but look around the site here and see what others have done. The 4.6l was built with huge potential compared to the small blocks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I've seen some of the 4.6L 2vs with some power, but not what I'm looking for. I haven't seen any with over 400rwhp that was safe.. They aren't bad for mild street cars but I'm wanting a tad bit more than that. Thanks though, Yadkin. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
6,282 Posts
Whatever you decide good luck. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
864 Posts
i would go with with the 5.0 you can get soooo much out of them and then add some power adders to it ..... but i love my 5.0 and lighter then the 351 just me

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
It really depends on how much you wanna spend. You could do it with a 4.6 PI headed motor that is blown and that will get you some ponies or you can swap in a 351 stroked to a 408 and equip that bad boy with some nice heads and intake and that will get you some ponies. The choice is yours.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My third option was a 03/04 cobra engine.. from what I've read, its an easy swap. Any info on this?:winks

·
Registered
511 Posts
My third option was a 03/04 cobra engine.. from what I've read, its an easy swap. Any info on this?:winks
whoever said it is an easy swap is a liar. for the cost of a terminator engine, harness and trans you could built a pretty nice stroker based either from a 302 or a 351.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
whoever said it is an easy swap is a liar. for the cost of a terminator engine, harness and trans you could built a pretty nice stroker based either from a 302 or a 351.
++++++++++++++++++++1

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
I don't know where you are getting your info but please don't seek it no more. I am not saying this because I own a 4.6 but for you to get the correct info.

1. 4.6 block beats a factory 5.0 or 351 windsor block any day....4.6 blocks can handle so much more power than your pushrod motor you wana go with actually it is about double rated also. Now if you wana go with a Dart block then go right ahead but I will tell you now buying a Dart block and building it is gonna cost alot more than building a 4.6!

2. 4.6 stock internals are rated to about 400-450 depends on who you ask but 400rwhp is a safe mark for our motors with stock internals.

3. There is nothing wrong with a 302 or 351 W but when you compare the blocks to a 4.6 block durability wise the 4.6 wins time and time!

What do you want out of the car, how much money you got to spend, what route you wana take na or power adder? PM me and I can help you out!

I hope this info helps you and gets you on the right tracks you just need to make sure you get your info from people who know what they're talking about! :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, Yeah its just from what I have googled, that I read it. 50/50 say its hard, other say its easy.. but its the internet after all.. :gringreen..

Right now I'm on about $300 to play with every two weeks (going to increase in about 6 months, Police Cadet). I'm wanting 400rwhp+. I was thinking NA but I love the KB, I know its quiet expensive but the set up is based on NA or power adder. I guess I could throw on a cheap SC for the time being?

Thanks, Justin.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Your best bet is to save up for 6 months or so and decide then.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
They have kits online that have everything you need from the supercharger to the clutch pedal, they cost about 10k though.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There's so many ways to go, its overwhelming. My buddy wants me to go with a 351, I found one for sale, running with tranny for $500.. but I want to keep stock engine and make 400rwhp outta it. Just don't know what to do. I'm kind of thinking doing a PI swap on it might do me for now.. :?:

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Wellllll yeah.......naw not really. The PI swap is nice and all but it's not going to set the world on fire. Do the swap if you plan to put a power adder on it to achieve your HP goal if not SET A GAME PLAN!!!!

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Keep in mind adding PI heads ups your compression ratio to about 10:1 and that is not boost territory expecially with stock internals you would kill your rods, and pistons.

My advise is if you do the PI swap then plan on building the motor before you add a supercharger or turbo so that way you can get the pistons to set your ratio right to be boost friendly.

Posting in the 4.6 section will get you better advise not to bash on the pushrod guys don't get me wrong I love them but there motors are a different breed expecially when it comes to adding the PI heads doing cams and so on you should know how much different they are!

Adding PI heads will get you a gain of around 30-50hp if I am not mistaking it's all cause of the compression raise and the better flowing intake and cams! Our biggest weak link is acutally the intake and cams the heads are not as much of the culprit.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts