Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to see how many times the end of the poorly designed dipstick broke. It's lead ( or nonmetallic ) and doesn't take alot of pressure to come off and fall into the oil pan. We noticed it was catching on something and turned out to be a burr at the bottom of the tube. We spent awhile trying to get it out of the pan ( flushing with lots of oil, etc ) Is it possible for that to get sucked up into the motor? How fine is the pick up screen? Anybody come across this?

·
Registered
60 Posts
That's odd. My '98 GT's dipstick lead is metal. Build date on mine is 5/98. Has someone replaced yours with a older plastic piece?

GT

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dipstick

No it was the original. It has been superseeded with part # xr3z-6754-ba. The new one has a longer guide into the oil pan so it doesn't catch on the lip causing a burr. The dipstick is still a cable with a non metallic end. I really hate to pull the pan off when it's probably going to lay there. It's probably stuck on the baffle or wedged near the tube hole. Tried to fish out for hrs.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I agree, thats odd. Mine is completely metal. 2000 gt. I dont think it would get sucked into the engine due to the screen on the pump, but it may block oil flow to the pump that could be problematic. If its me, Im taking my oil pan off and getting it out of there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.